Sunroom Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn

Noob
Reaction score
First I ask these questions a a complete novice.

First we are in the process of jacking up the sun room, my father in law is doing that slowly so the stipple on the house doesn't crack. It probably has another 3-5 inches to go. So these improvements would be going on while he does that.

1. When we choose a flooring we would need it to be one that won't buckle when the room comes up the rest of the way (is that something I should be concerned about?)

2. These ugly cabinets are built right into my wall and potentially my floor (see pictures) is there a way I can get them out or is that going to take this from a newbie possible project to a you need a contractor project?
If the answer is contractor times I could replace the counter top and paint them into something not quite so ugly I suppose...

3. The whole room is that plastic "wood" paneling. I am fine with it staying up, but what kind of paint am I looking for to stick to it?

sunroom.jpg

Is the paneling actually plastic? It is more likely Masonite with a slick surface. Steps to painting it would be clean it thoroughly, lightly sand it with 150 grit sandpaper to scuff up the surface. You may be able to use a liquid deglosser instead of sanding. Prime with a quality primer and top cop with latex paint. I wouldn't bother filling in the grooves.

Alternatively you can cover it with a wallpaper liner. This is a heavy paper used to cover uneven wall surfaces before wallpapering them. It will bridge the grooves. It can be painted once installed if wallpaper isn't your thing. The surface would need to be cleaned prior to installation, I'm not sure if you would need to scuff up the surface. http://www.lowes.com/pd_327793-3736....LocatorStoreBean@56015601]&productId=3234643

You can do some of the prep work while the jacking process is in progress but I'd hold off on doing any finish work until the room is stable.

Back