DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > My Roof Repair Project Has Begun - Phase 1 The Pergola

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 PM  
zannej

Liked 501 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 2914

Do you have HomeDepot and Lowes out there?
I wonder if a Black & Decker Matrix with impact attachment would work for the drilling, or would it be too weak?

I think that if you sand epoxy to give it some rough surface for the paint to grab and used primer and then paint it might work-- but you'd have to see if the paint brand will work. I know Krylon makes paints that adhere to plastics and other surfaces. If epoxy isn't going to work, you might try to find some sort of marine grade wood sealant that is paintable.

Good luck with this project. I look forward to seeing the progress.

I only stopped in Hawaii a couple of times on my way to and from Guam many years ago. I spent 9 years on Guam and it sounds like you have similar weather conditions there.

voyager Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 AM  
voyager
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 27

@ Snoonyb
Yes! The anchoring epoxy is the way to go when installing the new replacement anchors. I won't have to wait for the concrete to harden.

We have a HD here in Hilo. There is one in Kona also plus a Lowes. Kona is a 2-1/2 hour drive one way. We do go over there every 3 or 4 months to COSTCO for our bulk shopping. Anyway, the least expensive hammer drills or rotary hammers with 3 functions and SDS chucks at the Hilo HD are a Milwaukee and a Bosch each at $180.
I'd have to see much future use before I could justify spending that much.

I was thinking that sanding the epoxied surfaces might help the paint adhere better. That I will do at the least.

@ nealtw
You're probably right. The anchors may not have been galvanized. But, the tie was, as you can see from the picture of the old and new ties. Even so, it had rusted out completely and was nothing more than a pile of rust flakes on and under the post. That corner was very wet, probably from the roof panels leaking.

@ zannej
The B&D Matrix has an impact driver attachment, but no hammer drill attachment. Don't think it has the capability for the job.

Yeah, the conditions that setup the local climates on an island in the middle of an ocean are probably the same no matter which island your on.

zannej Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 435 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or, you can retain the tools until all of the connectors have been replaced and sell them on Ebay.

What ever connector you use there are cold application galv. and/or rust inhibiting primers.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM  
voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb View Post
Or, you can retain the tools until all of the connectors have been replaced and sell them on Ebay. ...
It'll never happen. I'm a hardcore gear-head. Any tool or outdoor equipment I acquire will be mine forever, at least until my kids have an estate sale to get rid of them. I don't have enough storage for the tools I bought to build more storage for the other things we've got.
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM  
zannej

I take it you don't have any friends in the area who might have the tool for you to borrow? Although, I don't know how he whole "borrowing" thing works in Hawaii. In Guam if someone asked to borrow something, they would not return it until / unless the original owner asked to borrow it back. They sometimes joked it was "borrow to own". Hopefully in Hawaii they return things.
voyager Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM  
Snoonyb

The Quonset huts don't glow in Hawaii, like they do in Guam.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM  
voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
I take it you don't have any friends in the area who might have the tool for you to borrow? Although, I don't know how he whole "borrowing" thing works in Hawaii. In Guam if someone asked to borrow something, they would not return it until / unless the original owner asked to borrow it back. They sometimes joked it was "borrow to own". Hopefully in Hawaii they return things.
My experiences through the years have made me very reluctant to borrow or lend, especially tools. I really hate to have to buy a new tool to replace a borrowed one that broke or died. I also hate to buy a new tool to replace a loaned one that was returned in pieces, or never found its way back home. And, If I borrow, then I'm obligated to lend. Rather than lend a tool , I'm more likely to take the tool and do the job they need done myself on my own schedule. My tools last longer, always find their way home, and the requests to borrow seem to become fewer and fewer. I'm always leery of anyone that says they'll treat it as if it were their own, especially after seeing how they treat their tools.

Last edited by voyager; 03-20-2017 at 03:19 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4862

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
My experiences through the years have made me very reluctant to borrow or lend, especially tools. I really hate to have to buy a new tool to replace a borrowed one that broke or died. I also hate to buy a new tool to replace a loaned one that was returned in pieces, or never found its way back home. And, If I borrow, then I'm obligated to lend. Rather than lend a tool , I'm more likely to take the tool and do the job they need done myself on my own schedule. My tools last longer, always find their way home, and the requests to borrow seem to become fewer and fewer. I'm always leery of anyone that says they'll treat it as if it were their own, especially after seeing how they treat their tools.
I like that attitude and I have lots of tools that are missing in action.

So don't borrow, find someone with a drill and pay him to come drill the holes.
30 bucks and a couple beer.
voyager Likes This 
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I like that attitude and I have lots of tools that are missing in action.

So don't borrow, find someone with a drill and pay him to come drill the holes.
30 bucks and a couple beer.
Maybe throw in some SPAM with the beer.
Save
voyager Likes This 
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM  
Snoonyb

Yeh mean "miner's meat"?

People Like This