Correct order for kitchen remodel.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarch

Reaction score
We are planning on putting porcelain tile down and also replacing our counter tops / backsplash and resurfacing our cabinets in the kitchen. Anyone see a problem with doing the floor first, then the cabinets and countertops?

If you are just doing cosmetic work on the cabinets, you are OK with doing the floor first. If it were me doing the work, I would work from the top down, that way you are not working over recently finished work.

If you install new cabinets, they go in first, then you run the flooring up to the cabinet edge.

Oh, and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Floor before the cabinets or you may find the dishwasher too tall to fit under the cabinets.

I'd get the cabinets done first then the flooring. Gravity may not be your friend on this one.

If your not moving the cabinets like joe said double check the height for the dishwasher and like the others I would start at the top.
Nothing more fun than droping tools on new floor.

I have seen installs where the floor was put in after the dishwasher and the lip created made it impossible to remove the dishwasher.

Thanks for the input and welcome. We're not planning on replacing any cabinets, just resurfacing and restaining. But y'all gave me some good thoughts to consider.

Back