Flickering lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolcat

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home and I've been noticing my recess lights in the living room and in my kitchen have been flickering or dimming slightly for a few seconds and then going back to normal.. Does anyone why it's doing that and how can I fix the problem..I checked the recess lights and they look fairly new and look in good shape..I recently switched the light switch to a dimmer switch for the recess lights but it does share switches on the same outlet for other lights

I have the same problem with LEDs rated for A dimmer. Did it do this prior to installing the dimmer?

What kind of bulbs? Is the flickering constant? I had an issue with some CREE LED fixtures strobing on a LED compatible dimmer. Apparently not all dimmable LEDs are compatible with all dimmers. If you are using incandescent bulbs what wattage are they? Did they do this before you swapped the switch for the dimmer?

If the bulbs are too big, wattage wise, they will tend to cycle on and off as the thermo-coupling heats and cools.

Cree is what I used too. The bulbs still flicker when dimmer is on highest setting. I just ignore it because it doesn't flicker constantly.

The strobing couldn't be ignored. It could cause a seizure it was that bad.

Back