Frozen pipe - Toilet not working again

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emac

Reaction score
I've had this about 2 weeks ago, when the water was not filing the toilet tank and the shower was not draining(see my previous thread). It was probably a frozen pipe, because it was very cold. When the weather got warm, they both started working, without any problems, thank God. Now it's the toilet again, water does not come in the tank, the cold water pipe might be frozen.( the shower in front of the toilet is fine so far). The bathroom and bedroom are above the family room but about 5 feet are portruding further outside then the family room, and the toilet is by a corner, so it has walls and floor exposed to cold. We only know that the pipes go down through the family room outside wall, but we dont knoe exactly where, and where is frozen. What can we do now? It's too cold to take the siding off to see if the frozen pipe is in that area. Should we take the wood paneling off in the family room to see what we can do there? we have a fireplace on the next wall that might help or not; will the pipe burst if the heat from the fireplce will warm the walls from the bottom up? How can we survive until spring when somebody can work on it?

is your home on a slab or do you have a sub floor where you can get under the home?
you shouldn't have to start taking the outside of the house apart at this point. It sounds like you may have a small amount of ice just in the one area leading to the toilet

Last edited:
The house Is a quad. I know we have air vents that go under the family room but no crawl space to get in there. Since the toilet is in the area that hangs about 5 feet outside the family,( there is an air vent next to the toilet!) my hubby thinks the pipe makes a turn from the bathroom floor to go down the family room wall, and that may be the problem since those 90 degree angles would freeze faster. But we dont know for sure, and we dont know what to do, since the cold weather is staying. Since is the second time that pipe froze in a couple of weeks, we are worried how it will thaw... Should we just wait and see or do somthing...start the fireplace to warm up the area...or what? We want to get somebody to add some blown in insulation, but its to cold to do that now, so we have to wait until spring for that. What can we do until then?

get pipe warmers from Walmart. then when the weather clears up a bit, get insulation for your pipes or heat tapes which come with thermostats. heat tapes dont allow your pipes to go down a certain temp. just keep them plugged in.

You say the bathroom has floor exposed tothe cold, from the outside what is on the floor. it it plywood or some sort if vent material, like vinyl or aluminum?

Latest posts

Back