Ceiling fan wont turn (just bump a little)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typhoon

Reaction score
I just put on oil lubricant (a lot I think) on my ceiling fan because it making noise. Right after that then I switched it on and it went well. I turned it off after several hours of running. When I tried to turn it on again, it failed to function properly. On the first try to turn it on again, the ceiling fan run well on the highest speed, then I went to turn it to lower speed and at this moment, it stop functioning.

Everytime I turn it on or change the speed, the fan only tend to move a bit and stop. (Just a little bump). I gave a push but still it didn't go far and wont continue to turn. I have changed the capacitor with equal farad as previous, but the problem still persist.

suggestion please.

There are the windings and the run capacitor. Not much else to go wrong if it has power.

Just curious, but what do you consider "a lot"? A drop, a cup, or a gallon? The only thing that ever goes out on my ceiling fans is style, and pull switches.

Just curious, but what do you consider "a lot"? A drop, a cup, or a gallon? The only thing that ever goes out on my ceiling fans is style, and pull switches.
Me too. They have a tendency to last forever.

All the ceiling fans I have dissected have 6203 bearings top and bottom. They are factory shielded greased bearings. Oil will just wash the grease out of them if their is in fact any grease left. That same bearing is used in most pump motors.

The only fans intended to be oiled are the old hunters that had plain bearings and a shaft with a grove that would draw oil from a cup at the bottom you could fill. I don’t think they have made this type in 40 years. They still make a big housing that looks like a big motor is in there but they all are for looks now and nothing to service. Keep the oil can in the garage for the car door hinges and the wheelbarrow wheel.

Back