EMT Conduit inside walls and throught the house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. But if someone were to remove that box on the other side, they could then pull the romex to the limits defined by the connection within, not the romex connector required.

Building codes are designed to protect you, from you.

First off, this is a work in progress; and this the very first stage of the install and by no means final (more of a preliminary). Code is the is the minimum bar to avoid very sloppy jobs. One could also pull the romex from a inside a conduit, and there is no retaining fitting with the use of the conduit; so some psycho could simply pull all the wires from the conduits from its ends. Non-sensical argument indeed. Far more relevant to protect the physical wiring throughout its routes.

One can only imagine that the retaining fitting is needed due to the fact that all extension wire are not in conduit 99% of the time and thus so much of each extension is exposed to hands and pulling hands all over the place. I have to check with the code to make that such a small section of romex travelling between the two side of the same wall require this retaining fitting since there are lots of exceptions in code for rules that otherwise would be clearly redundant and disconnected from reality

Nonetheless, more protection is always better; even in such a marginal way; and it only takes 5 minutes to bore a partial hole in order to add the retaining fitting

Last edited:
First off, this is a work in progress; and this the very first stage of the install and by no means final (more of a preliminary). Code is the is the minimum bar to avoid very sloppy jobs.

The quality of the performance is the provenance of its provider, not the building code.

One could also pull the romex from a inside a conduit, and there is no retaining fitting with the use of the conduit; so some psycho could simply pull all the wires from the conduits from its ends. Non-sensical argument indeed.

Before the conductors are properly connected, after was addressed.

Far more relevant to protect the physical wiring throughout its route.

Your time, your money.

One can only imagine that the retaining fitting is needed due to the fact that all extension wire are not in conduit 99% of the time and thus so much of each extension is exposed to hands and pulling hands all over the place.

Until the conductors are secured, connected and the walls covered.

I have to check with the code to make that such a small section of romex travelling between the two side of the same wall require this retaining fitting since there are lots of exceptions in code for rules that otherwise would be clearly redundant and disconnected from reality.

Please be so kind as to publish those "exceptions".

Nonetheless, more protection is always better; even in such a marginal way; and it only takes 5 minutes to bore a partial hole in order to add the retaining fitting

Did you not ask for an opinion?

The quality of the performance is the provenance of its provider, not the building code.

Before the conductors are properly connected, after was addressed.

Your time, your money.

Until the conductors are secured, connected and the walls covered.

Please be so kind as to publish those "exceptions".

Did you not ask for an opinion?

Well, about 12 inches of the wire protrudes from inside an electrical box. It seem very easy to pull from any conduit then. By walls, you mean sheetrock == powder + paper which does not entail much protection. I never said that these particular exception exist, but then there are plenty of exceptions within code for many rules (it must stand for a reason that the NEC has 100s of pages). Maybe this rules was created mainly to avoid wire theft or to offer a sense protection to romex wiring which is inheritingly unsafe (Rodents cause 8% of all house & building fires in the USA). Yeah, I asked for an opinion; but not sarcasm.

Last edited:
EMT will offer the greatest protection if rodents are a major issue in your area, that is correct. An electrical contractor will charge a ton for it, though, if somebody wants it through their entire house, because of how time extensive it is. Material will also cost more due to all of the fittings and THHN, maybe not significantly more, but more nonetheless. It's a sad thing to say, but residential contractors look to get in and out as quickly and cheaply as possible, and romex has ruled the market because of it. Getting back to your issue with rodents, if the spaces are open and the runs are fairly straight, yeah use EMT to get into the attic or crawl space. It won't take that much longer to rough in. For old work that requires fishing, or for crawl spaces and attics, I would say to use MC, because it has the flexibility to pull and the armored jacket for protection. If rodents are chewing through that, then there's a bigger problem that needs to be taken care of.

EMT will offer the greatest protection if rodents are a major issue in your area, that is correct. An electrical contractor will charge a ton for it, though, if somebody wants it through their entire house, because of how time extensive it is. Material will also cost more due to all of the fittings and THHN, maybe not significantly more, but more nonetheless. It's a sad thing to say, but residential contractors look to get in and out as quickly and cheaply as possible, and romex has ruled the market because of it. Getting back to your issue with rodents, if the spaces are open and the runs are fairly straight, yeah use EMT to get into the attic or crawl space. It won't take that much longer to rough in. For old work that requires fishing, or for crawl spaces and attics, I would say to use MC, because it has the flexibility to pull and the armored jacket for protection. If rodents are chewing through that, then there's a bigger problem that needs to be taken care of.

Yeah, it would be an expensive proposition in case I would hire an electrician to get this job done.

The thing is that I have replace so many things (walls, wall bottom plates, studs, etc) that it simply make sense to get the electrical part done best possible way. I don't have a big problem with rodents, but they can very good at hiding and be unnoticed for years to come.

Yep, I plan on using MC in some areas. Sure enough, using fitting with EMT can be add up very quickly; and that is why I plan on doing mostly offset bends, saddle bends, and bends in general whenever possible with a bending bar. T

The pace of the work is slow because I try to learn as much as possible and often I am away travelling elsewhere.

thks!

Last edited:
OK, I thought the Gambino crime family had moved to Chicago er something...

Nope, just the dismalcrates, earning the title of the murder capitol of the U.S.

Before this thread derailed into politics and whatnot it was about a small section or romex wire without mean of affixing it to the joist and electrical box.

As a retrospective, I understand that romex is required to be affixed/clamped 12" from a box and also in the box's knockout. I have a situation whereby the romex travels a very short distance (about 4 feet) inside a partial wall which then makes it very difficult to clamp the wire at the box end or inside the wall cavity. The pic below depicts the situation:

eGPOw.jpg

N7S7C.jpg

Ie36j.jpg

The box below will contain a light switch and a dual receptacle, and the romex come from inside the wood joist and unless I drill a large bore there and then use something low profile as plastic snap-in connectors (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BG2I9Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) I don't see how to clamp the wire to the box itself:

It turns out the NEC provide an exception to theses scenarios. An exception present on NEC 334.30(B) [see below exception]

334.30 Securing and Supporting Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4 1⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box. junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge. Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.
(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (4 1⁄2-ft) intervals and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallicsheathed cable termination.
FPN: See 314.17(C) for support where nonmetallic boxes are used
(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
(2) Is not more than 1.4 m (4 1 ⁄2 ft) from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling

Last edited by a moderator:
...the romex come from inside the wood joist and unless I drill a large bore there and then use something low profile as plastic snap-in connectors (http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-Indu.../dp/B003BG2I9Q)

I don't see how to clamp the wire to the box itself

That is how I would do it. The cable will then be protected from any possible contact with the box opening (sharp).

NEC gave you an out regarding securing the cable inside the wall (new work).

Be sure to ground the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back