Repairable or need new windows?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochi0172

Reaction score
Hi. We're considering buying a home but there are some rotted wood windows. There are roughly fifty windows in the house and about ten have rot or possible internal damage (wood feels spongy). A contractor quoted U.S. $35K to $45K to do the whole house with double-panes vinyl windows :(. Any chance they can be fixed without changing the whole window (please see attachment)?image.jpg

Last edited:
I have fixed them in even worse condition. Modern windows are much better and at some point maybe something you will want to do. Factor the bad windows at least into the offer on the house.

I have fixed them in even worse condition. Modern windows are much better and at some point maybe something you will want to do. Factor the bad windows at least into the offer on the house.

Thanks so much for the response! The house was built in 1999 so not super old. Contractor says may be a sealing issue. Problem is the whole house is windows.image.jpg

While you can see damage to the windows and sills, my concern would be, and potentially just as expensive, is what you don't see.
Potential rot and mold in the walls, especially under the windows.

Almost garrentee, most of the windows will have rot in the wall below them. No point in fixing window unless you go after the walls too.
If you go for the quote make sure he can supply pictures of the procedure he will be using for the re- install.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VOrk1MuWY[/ame]

So rotten wood and it looks completely decayed, rather than fixing the wood; better replace those 10 doors with similar styled ones or replace the rotted window frame with new ones. you can go for the traditional wood or go for the modern ones like the vinyl. Both the cases it will be much more durable for sure. It's gonna be expensive but try for some budget friendly vinyl ones. I did a purchase of awning windows from North Tech Windows & Doors in Toronto since they are near to my hood and are budget friendly.
Since the number of doors are more, it’s better If you get professional help so they could assist you throughout the process; like the measurement, the installation process and post installation care.

Last edited:
So rotten wood and it looks completely decayed, rather than fixing the wood; better replace those 10 doors with similar styled ones or replace the rotted window frame with new ones. you can go for the traditional wood or go for the modern ones like the vinyl. Both the cases it will be much more durable for sure. It's gonna be expensive but try for some budget friendly vinyl ones. I did a purchase of awning windows from North Tech Windows & Doors in Toronto since they are near to my hood and are budget friendly.
Since the number of doors are more, it’s better If you get professional help so they could assist you throughout the process; like the measurement, the installation process and post installation care.

You live in Toronto and Edmonton is in your hood.:rofl::rofl::rofl::p

Back