Sump Pump Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jariso13

Reaction score
About two months ago I moved into a house with a finished basement. On a normal day my sump pump turns on two or three times. The last few years we have have had periods of extended power outages here in NJ so I would like to install a backup system to take over in case the power goes out while im at work. It seems that the easiest method would be to install a Basement Watchdog combination system. (I do not know how old the current pump is but it looks to to be pretty old so I definitely want to replace it before it fails). The problem is that my sump pit is only 12 inch deep and the basement watchdog pumps say that the pit needs to be 14 inches. Does anyone know of any other combination pumps that will fit my pit/have any suggestions on other backup systems that I should use?

The pump that is currently installed is Little Giant 6-CIA, 1/3 HP, 45 GPM - Automatic Submersible Sump Pump, 8ft power cord.

I have a Hydropump 12 Volt backup system. Works very well, the pump sits on the floor outside of the sump pit so no problem with the depth of the pit.

So I was reading more and more about it (ive never had a basement before so I am completely new to sump pumps) and started wondering if my pit is actually deeper than meets the eye. I knew the bottom of the pit was covered in a layer of rocks...but it turns out that there are about 4-5 inches of rocks down there. Do these rocks serve a purpose or can I remove them? Under the rocks there is a solid bottom to the pit. If I can remove them then the pit will be deep enough for just about any pump. Based on what Ive read it seems that I definitely need to at least clean the pit out (I dont think the previous owners ever did this).

I see no reason you need a layer of stones in a sump that has a solid bottom. Can you see the opening where the water enters the sump? Or does the water enter thru the stone?

There are holes in the sides of the sump pit that the water enters through.

Back