Need some knowledge and advice. Room addition.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacoba

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm currently undertaking a project where I'm converting a bonus room to a bedroom. There is a current open air entry way into this room (no door), which I want to wall off and install a door. The problem is the perpendicular walls don't quite align ( as in one wall inst quite long enough).

I put together this illustration to help clarify.
The red circle is the problem area. The Green wall doesn't quite extend far enough to be able to extend the Purple wall and have them intersect properly.
Extending the green wall is not an option as it would make that walkway too narrow.

How would you guys go about enclosing this room and adding that door? Let me know if you need clarification.
I appreciate the help!

walls_don_t_align.jpg

walls don't align.jpg

Welcome to the site.
I would just build it with that little jog in the bedroom, if that is not liked then youu could strap the wall between the bedroom and bathroom to straighten the inside of the wall.

Welcome to the site.
I would just build it with that little jog in the bedroom, if that is not liked then youu could strap the wall between the bedroom and bathroom to straighten the inside of the wall.

Just for clarification when you say "that little jog" Do you mean build a "wall extension of the gray wall that has the bathroom door, and have it extend into the bedroom? So there will be a little "peninsula" of wall in the room where the door jab would be? Sorry for the lack of proper terminology.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the idea of wall strapping, based on my searches would that mean adding horizontal beams across the wall, then rehanging drywall over the entire wall?

Thanks for the input!

Yes if you build the wall on the blue grey floor from the end of the green wall and let it stick into the bedroom , you could just finish it like that or add to the entire wall strips of wood to make the rest of the wall line up straight.
We run into this often in new construction when ther designer screws things up.

Where are you putting the closet.

Still undecided. One option would be to close up the closet in the bathroom, an open it up to the bedroom. Though this would be a small closet at 32"x35"

The total size of the room is 11'7" x 7'11". I could frame out a coset but I fear the room will be pretty small at that point.

Do you have any ideas?

The normal would be to put the door opening at 3" from the green wall, for a 30" door leave a 32" x 82 1/2" opening in the wall. Build the closet infront of the green wall leaving 36" for the door to swing in.
The short wall of the closet is 24" if there is drywall on the green wall. For a double bi-fold leave an opening 49 1/4 by 81

The normal would be to put the door opening at 3" from the green wall, for a 30" door leave a 32" x 82 1/2" opening in the wall. Build the closet infront of the green wall leaving 36" for the door to swing in.
The short wall of the closet is 24" if there is drywall on the green wall. For a double bi-fold leave an opening 49 1/4 by 81

That is incredibly helpful! Thanks so much! :banana:

Back