Bath Vent Fan... Electrician or Handyman?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDandy

Reaction score
Single floor ranch stick built. I want to go from a 60cfm to a 100cfm bath vent fan.

Would this job be best serve by an electrician or a handyman?

The Attic is white blown insulation with no plywood walkway. Do I have to out a narrow walkway down or can I expect that they have dealt with such attic crawling and won't kick down my ceiling?

Hi Jim welcome to the forum.

I would say DIY or handyman project. Anyone worth hiring should know how to deal with the insulation. How is the current fan vented out?

I think you have to shop for the right guy, some electricians won't want to work with the ducts and some handymen won't touch wires. And welcome to the site.

This is too small for an electrician. Handymen do this kind of thing routinely. Just make sure you vent to the outside, not dump moist air into a cold attic.

It currently is a NuTone 60cfm and vents via flex tube to the differ which isn't good as it's aluminum continuously perforated soffet so it's drawn back up.

Anywhoo, it's a 3 inch vent so I'm on the edge abut replacing it at all now. It runs good ad the 60cfm is technically perfect for my 8x5 ish bathroom. The other part of me says to go ahead and let them crawl over hell up there pushing and squashing my blown insulation to put in an 80-90cfm.

Seems like if you know what to watch out for you should DIY it. Nobody cares about ones home as much as the homeowner himself.

Latest posts

Back