foundation wall cracking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvishere

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and don’t if this is the correct forum to post this question. Moderator, if it is not, please let me know. I live in the state of Maine. My area of concern is with my second basement foundation wall which is under my attached two car garage addition; let’s call it the “shop”. On the exterior of the northwest corner of the shop abuts a retaining wall (RW) which retains the driveway to the garage above (the shop is a daylight basement). Through the years, the RW appears to be moving into and to the west of the shop wall causing a once hairline crack to become over 1/8”-1/4” wide in various places on this northwest corner.

The previous owner told me he had issues with the driveway and retaining wall but the 3 new tiebacks/soil anchors installed resolved the issues. There appears to be weep holes at the bottom of the wall that I have yet to see work. At the top of the RW where it abuts next to my garage, there is a low spot which used to pond water. I drilled a few holes at the top to allow the water to drain through the wall and run down below.

Question: what is the quickest and most economical solution to the “moving” RW? Should I just simply vertically sawcut off a portion of the RW that abuts the exterior of the shop foundation wall to relieve the pressure? Any other ideas besides digging up the entire driveway, find the perimeter drain to ensure it functions, and re-place the retaining wall with a new one)? If I have to do the latter, should it be tied to the shop foundation wall?

All of that and not a single picture!
WOW! Is that ever confusing.:)

What is on the topside where the rail fence is shown? Is water able to pool up there when it rains?

That wall has already been reinforced at least once before but truthfully I doubt the anchors resolved anything from the looks of it. I'm afraid making any cuts in the wall would only weakin it more at this point.

Is the damaged interior wall (shown) backed up to that same area as the retaining wall?

Can we see what that upper area looks like? The area being held by the retaining wall?:)

Bud, to answer your questions:
As you can see from pic#3, on the other side of the RW is my asphalt driveway. You can also see some holes I drilled thruogh the wall to let the water drain, so no, the water does no pool any more.

Yes, the damaged interior wall is backed up to that same area as the retaining wall, more specifically at the corner of pic#2.

Any suggestions???

Obviously you are dealing with severe soil expansion and you should find a way to shed the water completely. The holes are helpful but not enough. This is why I was asking what's the surface like in the area atop the retaining wall.:)

Is there anyone else that can help/comment on this issue, preferably someone who has encountered this in the past??? Original post was on 4/17 and pics uploaded on 4/18ish...

Latest posts

Back