DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:12 PM  
zannej

Liked 501 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 2912

Ugh. Having to replace flooring bc of dog piss would really make me angry.

I was getting very frustrated about my elderly cat peeing on my bed-- although not as bad once I got a waterproof mattress pad that I cover myself (and my bedding) with. It seems that he's regained control of his bladder now that he's feeling better and he hasn't gone on the bed in several days. I know the poor thing couldn't help it, so I couldn't get too mad about it. My mother's little dog pees on puppy training pads in my mother's bathroom (since she doesn't wake up when he scratches to be let out). Sometimes he misses a little, but at least he tries to go on the pads. But we can't have bathmats on the floor in there because he thinks they are pee pads too.

I was looking for signs to put up on the gate once we get it working and I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Trespassing-F...dp/B01GW7438E/
LOL.
I also want BEWARE OF ATTACK COW or something like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	617MxTScQWL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	15141  
People Like This 
Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 PM  
tuffy
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Coat rack I built fell off the door . probably had 100# of coats ,jackets ,hoody's. on it. it was custom made of a 2x6 1xstock and crown molding. it was screwed to a solid door pulled the screws right out . this time I added more screws and liquid nailed it.

zannej Likes This 
Old 12-03-2017, 09:14 PM  
zannej

tuffy, sounds like a neat coat rack. Got any pictures?

I'm still waiting for the increased thyroid med dosage to start kicking in. I did some cleaning today. Changed out the trash in the bathroom and put down clean puppy pads for my mother's dog. I filled two 33-gallon bags with trash in the kitchen and living room and put them in front of the door for my brother to take out when he was leaving for work. He just stepped over them and left them.

Went to the grocery store and picked up Mom's prescription and then visited a friend. He fell asleep in his computer chair so I left. Got home and made dinner for Mom.

Meanwhile, I'm excited about the gate opener and am hoping I can get someone out to help me with the gate posts soon. Still need to order a few things-- egress button (hoping for wireless-- may just mount one of the remotes outside), wire, pole/mount for the button, lag bolts, keypad, and a wireless doorbell. I plan to see how much of the stuff I can get at HD or Lowes and get the military discount.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
I filled two 33-gallon bags with trash in the kitchen and living room and put them in front of the door for my brother to take out when he was leaving for work. He just stepped over them and left them.
Dang! First of all, that's a lot of trash. That's like, 11am on Christmas day trash! How'd you let it build up that high man?? Second of all, I haven't lived with my brother since we were in high school but if we lived together now there might be fisticuffs if he did that. I hope yours isn't always such a bum!

Quote:
visited a friend. He fell asleep in his computer chair so I left.
That's something heroin addicts do. I hope your friend's alright and that's not why he's falling asleep in his computer chair.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 PM  
tuffy
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default picture of coat rack

here is a picture of the coat rack i made
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952186.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	15156  
People Like This 
Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
Dang! First of all, that's a lot of trash. That's like, 11am on Christmas day trash! How'd you let it build up that high man?? Second of all, I haven't lived with my brother since we were in high school but if we lived together now there might be fisticuffs if he did that. I hope yours isn't always such a bum!

That's something heroin addicts do. I hope your friend's alright and that's not why he's falling asleep in his computer chair.
Taking out the trash is supposed to be my brother's job. I wash dishes, fix plumbing, do the grocery shopping, feed the animals, take animals to the vet, clean the litterboxes, take my mother to doctor's appointments, prepare meals for my mother, take vehicles in for maintenance, pick up prescriptions for all of the family members, help my mother with things she's unable to do, and wash her feet (since she can't wash them herself). It's all become a lot harder since my back got messed up and since I grew a 6cm tumor in my abdomen that causes abdominal pain. I have trouble bending and lifting. I'm also still waiting for the adjustment to my thyroid meds to start kicking in so I'm always fatigued. I have congenital heart defects which give me arrhythmia and I have two prolapsed valves so I don't get enough oxygen, which also makes me fatigued.
My brother kept not taking the trash out and I couldn't lift the bags so it would pile up. My mother would just put trash in walmart bags and throw it across the room. A lot of the trash is empty 1-gallon water bottles (which I crush) and boxes from deliveries. Those take up a lot of space. I got to the point where I was overwhelmed with having to do all of the household chores alone and the chronic fatigue started kicking my *** so I lost motivation. I've been slowly trying to catch up on the cleaning since my brother won't do it. If any trash spills over out of the can, he leaves it. He also piles trash on top of the refrigerator and between the refrigerator and wall. I see people who keep their houses clean and I don't know how they do it. I just don't have the energy. I'm really hoping the increased thyroid medicine dosage will help with that.

My friend's father was a meth addict and he saw what drugs did to people and would never touch the stuff. He doesn't smoke, drink, or use drugs. It was fairly late and he'd worked a long shift-- a freight day where he had to unload lots of boxes so he was exhausted. He's had less energy since his vehicle wreck 2 years ago (he'd had it worked on and they forgot to put a cotter pin or something back in the tie rod so the tie rod came loose and the truck flipped & tumbled-- he nearly died). We joke that between the 2 of us, we have some pretty bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
here is a picture of the coat rack i made
That is a very nice coat rack! I like it! Thanks for sharing the picture!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM  
Flyover

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
We joke that between the 2 of us, we have some pretty bad luck.
Jeez, yeah I can see why. Good luck with everything!

I fail at a lot of important things--some of which you're clearly better at than me--but I do keep my house clean, despite having a pre-schooler and an infant. The way I do it is just to have routines, so it isn't something my wife or I have to think about, it's just a set of habits we can't help but do by default. Like, it feels strange if I do the dishes but don't also clean the kitchen counters and sweep under the dining room table. Or, I start to feel anxious when the recycling bin gets full so I feel relieved after I've emptied it into the bin in the garage. While I'm brushing my teeth I always wander around and make the bed, so now it's a weird morning if I don't. That kind of thing.

Break "keeping your house clean" down into little tasks and make each one a habit. Every human is wired to form habits, and this is very handy when you exploit it and put it to good use. (Addiction, nervous ticks, etc. are the downside of this wiring.)

Of course it's easier said than done; I'm not dealing with any serious medical problems or caring for anyone else who has them, so I understand if that advice isn't immediately actionable. But that's how I keep my house clean anyway.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
Jeez, yeah I can see why. Good luck with everything!

I fail at a lot of important things--some of which you're clearly better at than me--but I do keep my house clean, despite having a pre-schooler and an infant. The way I do it is just to have routines, so it isn't something my wife or I have to think about, it's just a set of habits we can't help but do by default. Like, it feels strange if I do the dishes but don't also clean the kitchen counters and sweep under the dining room table. Or, I start to feel anxious when the recycling bin gets full so I feel relieved after I've emptied it into the bin in the garage. While I'm brushing my teeth I always wander around and make the bed, so now it's a weird morning if I don't. That kind of thing.

Break "keeping your house clean" down into little tasks and make each one a habit. Every human is wired to form habits, and this is very handy when you exploit it and put it to good use. (Addiction, nervous ticks, etc. are the downside of this wiring.)

Of course it's easier said than done; I'm not dealing with any serious medical problems or caring for anyone else who has them, so I understand if that advice isn't immediately actionable. But that's how I keep my house clean anyway.
It doesn't sound to me like you fail at a lot of things. Seems like you accomplish quite a bit. I wish I had that motivation to clean the way you do. Cleaning was never something my mother did much so we didn't learn by example.
You are absolutely right about getting in to a routine. It's something I need to do. I've just struggled to even wake up at the same time each day. I am a night owl and have trouble getting my brain to rest at night. Even when I've tried adjusting my schedule it doesn't work out for me. Partially because my mother is a night owl and she will wake me up if she wants something (we got a panasonic phone system that comes with an intercom-- you can page any other handset in the house from any handset -- and she likes to page me a LOT). It can be anything from her having low blood sugar and needing me to bring her something to eat to her wanting me to come see what she's done in her coloring books or to tell me about something she saw online. She just automatically assumes I'm always awake. LOL. Good thing my room is across the house and she can't hear me swearing when she wakes me up sometimes.

My brother works in afternoon to night shift so he's usually asleep in the morning. It's rare for anyone to get up before noon.

During the daytime I sleep a lot. Just browsing the internet can make me tired. I set an alarm but I always sleep through it lately so I don't wake up when I should. I really do need to get in to some sort of schedule. I try to start cleaning stuff and then get tired and need to sit down or lay down. Although, I'm about to wake my brother up (since its his day off) to help me clean.

I'm always in awe of people here who get so much done-- particularly Chris who suffered back injury and still keeps working hard. And Frodo came out of a coma and is still more active than I am.
Flyover Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 PM  
Flyover

I don't know anyone's back story here but based on zannej's comment it sounds like many of you have been through a lot. Way more than I have, that's for sure. (Back injuries? Comas? Tumors? Thyroid issues? What are the odds??) Cheers to you guys for being able to remain active enough to get use out of a home repair/DIY forum!
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 AM  
zannej

Thanks, Flyover.
Today/yesterday was much more productive. It looks like a hoarder house in here. I filled about 4 or 5 more bags in the living room and am still working on it. Our wedge seat that came with our sectional sofa broke (the back on it broke free from the seat) and the sick cat used it as a litterbox. We had so much stuff piled up no one could even get to it. So, I cleared a path and then cleaned it off (bc it was piled with crap-- literally). No wonder we were getting sick. It's just not healthy and I should have done it much sooner. I let my brother have at the wedge seat with a sledgehammer to break it up so it would be easier to remove. Seat went out the back door, back went out the window. I have another trash bag almost filled but in one of the bags I found my late father's notebook. It had sketches and measurements of the entire house, sketches and measurements for things he wanted to build, a nice drawing of the kitchen (when still in planning stages), and the most heartbreaking thing for me was seeing his drawing of his dream house-- the front view was on one page and the floorplan was on another. I've tucked it away in a drawer for safe keeping. I wish he'd gotten to live in that dream house. I'll be honest, it's making me cry to think about it-- plus I really miss him. And there are symbols in his sketches that I don't know the meaning of and I wish I could ask him.

But at least I've been getting stuff done. My brother held bags for me and he got the chair out and helped with a little bit of picking up. My back is "talking ugly" to me so I'm taking a little break, but I'm going to head back in a few minutes to continue working. I want to get it set up so my brother can bring the new massage recliner in before daylight. And I have to take my fried's girlfriend to a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours. My mother was saying "You should get some sleep" and I said "Can't sleep-- brain won't let me. Keeps thinking about how I have to get up early in the morning."

I should have gotten some "before" pictures of the room but I admit I'm ashamed of how bad it was (and it's still pretty bad through most of the room). But I'll get some "after" ones when I get it picked up more.

I found a friggin' printer behind the wedge seat. I also found a waterproof mattress cover still in a bag. That is going over the massage chair in case my sick cat decides to be a jerk.