Door frame pulling away from drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsj

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here. :) House built 2003. In great shape except door from garage to house. One half the doorframe, on both sides of the "handle" side are pulling badly away from drywall. Large enough to insert fingers in the gap. See pictures. The other half, the "hinge" side, is perfect. rest of house is fine. Foundation is crawlspace over Carolina clay.

Is it just settling or do I have a failing footer?

If it's just settling, how to fix?

Thanks!
Jon

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome: to House Repair Talk Jon! Can you post a pic of the door frame with the door open looking at the jam?

hey Oldognewtrick, thanks! I think this is the view you're talking about. you can see toward the bottom the frame itself is coming apart :( thanks again....

3.jpg

I'm a little concerned that there are forces acting on the door that would cause that. Have you looked around to see if there is any other signs of trouble in that area? i would check both above and below to be sure.

It looks like the door frame is too wide for wall thickness.
My guess would be.
When the house was built that piece of framing lumber was very wet. Now that lumber is dried out and is shrinking.
The other possibility is somehow the door frame has gotten very wet and is expanding wider.

It almost looks like someone was trying to force their way inside. Is the door square at the top to the frame?

Is that something that's been happening over time or did it just happen overnight? I would bet someone was trying to force open the door.

Thanks for the responses. This has been happening gradually, though gotten worse lately. My wife and I just looked closely above, below and around this door and others in the house. Everything looks fine.

Best theory I think is expansion-contraction. Not only the molding, but the door frame feels "hollow" and sort of "moveable" when I push on it. But only on that side. I'll rip off the molding and frame this weekend and see what's underneath. Thanks again guys, really helpful. Was most concerned it was something big, but doesn't seem like it...

someone did not put enough screws to hold the door in place i bet that door has a spring that slams the door id bet they used finishing nails for the door

Do you have a bunch of teenagers living there? Almost looks like that door jamb is a pivot point for entering/exiting the garage. Do you have wood or steel studs in that wall?

Latest posts

Back