Weird "Scrunchy" Sounds on Outside Walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner2010

Reaction score
Name that sound. Please.We lived in this home about a year so this is the first full winter. We are beginning to hear noises (another post on popping sounds). We can't really explain it except that it sounds "scrunchy". Wad up some plastic bags and squeeze. That's how it sounds. If we press hard on the drywall inside the home (on outer walls only), we also hear the sound. (1) Is that the insulation or vinyl siding? (2) Should we have a GC come out and take siding off to see what it is? It is much louder with high winds so I'm betting it's the siding, but not sure how we should handle it. :eek:

could be the wind but i would describe that more as clicking or rattling not scrunching. Does the sound change with the wind? If yes, thats your answer.

My first thought was mice. If this is an all over problem then not likely. If its localize to one or two areas and moves around then yeah could be.

Oh, i have also heard that when its really quiet you can hear termites chewing. Its easy to pull up an edge of vinyl siding to take a peek. That may not tell u much tho.

Good luck and let us know if you pin-point it. I would LOVE a recording of the sound to use in my online home improvement radio show. Contact me at my site if you are interested.

You siding could be getting cold then as the wind blows moving it it mite produce the sound you're hearing.

youtube has a video on how to pull up just a few layers of siding for melting problem repairs. This would walk you through it so you can see what is going on underneithe. We had I simular problem, if you hit the inside wall does it make the sound then. Are's was full of lady bugs that had made it underneithe the siding.

Youtube has everything, isn't it great ! Where would we be without it.

Back