Why so many mismatched shingles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharper418

Reaction score
I just purchased a house and there are many mismatched shingles. What would cause such damage, and why wouldn't the same shingles be used to repair it? Also, any idea how much it would cost to bring it all back to the same style and color?

image.jpg

They may not have been able to get an exact match because the shingle is no longer made. If the new stuff were darker I might blame it on fading but it looks like the new stuff is lighter or at least what I think is new.

The only way to fix this is to reroof. Since there are shutters visible I assume this is the front of the house. If you opt to reroof sooner rather than later, do yourself a favor:

1. Do a complete tear off of the old roof. You *CAN* reroof without tearing off the old, but you shouldn't. Shingling over old shingles will reduce the life of the new shingles.
2. Upgrade to an architectural shingle. They look better and last longer than standard 3 tabs. When we built our house 16 years ago we put on an upgrade architectural shingle. Many of my neighbors are starting to replace their shingles, mine still has another 16 - 19 years on the warranty. Total cost of the upgraded shingles in 1998 when they roofed the house, $800.

Thanks. I will look into replacing the roof if that's the only option. The previous homeowner said that the shingles blew off - is that a reasonable explanation for that many patches or should I suspect worse?

The house is 16 years old, by the way. Should it be due for a new roof yet?

The house is 16 years old, by the way. Should it be due for a new roof yet?

Standard 3 tabs usually have a 20 year "warranty." Many of my neighbors in 16-18 year old homes are replacing their original roofs at this point.

If you were hit with a hurricane or tropical storm having to repair the roof from blown off shingles isn't unusual. Here again a better grade of shingle would stand up to the wind better than a standard three tab.

A warranty is not a guarantee. Shingle MFG's warranty their materials for a period of time against manufacturing defects. They do not guarantee any performance of their products. If the shingles are not installed properly, it can void any warranties of the shingles.

If I had of been buying this house and even saw 3 tabs shingles with no damage I would deducted the cost of a new roof.
With that amount of replaced shingles it's a 100% sure guess there's more then just shingles needing replacement.
Just a guess you use the realitors suggested inspector to do the inspection not one you picked.

Latest posts

Back