Rearranging mini walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Guys,

Just looking for opinion and ideas. I have recently moved in. My living room is 14x20. Due to my large projector screen, I will need to pull the sofa out a little more, about another foot from the pic (already pulled it out some and placed a vase there :D).

I am looking at shortening the wall on the right side and maybe extending the wall on the left side (leaving same height). Both are about 3 ft long now. Overhead is about 2" inches shorter than a typical door height.

The joists on the ceiling runs perpendicular to that entire wall (its about 14ft long, 2x6), so its probably a load bearing wall.

1) Do I shorten the wall on the right side and leave the left side alone

2) Shorten the wall on right side and extend the wall on the left side to the edge of the sofa (i am planning to pull the sofa out another foot from the pic). I need to decide soon since I will be laying laminate flooring..
Btw, I love this forum:banana:

left.jpg

center.jpg

right.jpg

Last edited:
Go ahead and take them down they are just for looks.

Go ahead and take them down they are just for looks.

Take most of the right side out? Do I want to extend the left side or remove the left side too? My concern is removing both will make that entire wall/entry look short since its 2" shorter than avg door height.

The other room is the messy dinning room and to the left its the kitchen.

Last edited:
I would take the right side out to the pole and the left side i would make longer and fill in the top. I'm not a fan of those short walls but thats just me.

I would take the right side out to the pole and the left side i would make longer and fill in the top. I'm not a fan of those short walls but thats just me.

Thanks for the clarity. I will for sure shaved the right side to the edge (pole).

For the left, let me ask my spouse:rofl:. Just curious, if I have to extent the left side, i might need to put some lag screws/expansion shield on bottom. Hopefully the slab don't have any plumbing below? House was built in 1962 in southern calif. I never lived in a slab foundation before.

There is a beam above that opening and it shoud be next to the ceiling, with a small nail you would be able to locate it and if it is against the ceiling you would be able to remove all the extra and replace the drywall below the beam. The plumbing should be under or near the bottom of the slab. Just limit the depth of any holes drilled.

I kind of doubt there is anything crossing there in the floor. Do you have in floor heat?
Other than that look at where your supply lines enter and where they go and is there a reason they would go thru there.

To extend that and build off the old framing that is anchored it wouldn’t need much more.

What kind of projection screen do you have? Is it front projection? The light control of the full wall could help.

I kind of doubt there is anything crossing there in the floor. Do you have in floor heat?
Other than that look at where your supply lines enter and where they go and is there a reason they would go thru there.

To extend that and build off the old framing that is anchored it wouldn’t need much more.

What kind of projection screen do you have? Is it front projection? The light control of the full wall could help.

Thanks guys. No floor heat. I will limit the depth of the drill. I have an electric screen with front projection. The living room is already dark (no windows) except a 5ft sliding door. The patio cover goes over the sliding door. In reality, I won't be filling the left wall since its already too dark. Half of the lights enter from the dinning area.

I also have front projection and not sure how much control the wife has in your project but there is two types of ambient light that will ruin your image one is outside light and it sounds like you have that somewhat under control. The other is projected light bouncing off walls and ceiling back to the screen. I would fill in that hole then paint the area a darker color to absorb some of that rebound light.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I also have front projection and not sure how much control the wife has in your project but there is two types of ambient light that will ruin your image one is outside light and it sounds like you have that somewhat under control. The other is projected light bouncing off walls and ceiling back to the screen. I would fill in that hole then paint the area a darker color to absorb some of that rebound light.

Thanks. We watch 99% of the times at night. I will paint the walls a darker color. Are you in the other forum (avs...)?

I used to be on avs a good deal. But rarely check into the DIY forums there anymore.

Latest posts

Back