Power surge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddyr24

Reaction score
I was at work yesterday and my wife was doing laundry, all of a sudden she said the tv went haywire, and when the tv settled down, the central air quit working, the electric dryer won't heat. The lights in the room are dim barely enough juice to have the lights on and a box fan, turn the dryer on and lights get bright, and box fan gets going. I had to come on here and ask the experts. Can someone point in the right direction where to start? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Going to have to take some volt readings around the house and in the breaker box.
Sounds like you may have lost your neutral.
Best to call in an Electrician if not familiar with electricity.

Right place to start IMHO would be to throw the main off, then call the power company. They will respond fast in most cases. If the problem isn't with the incoming line then get an electrician involved. To me a whole house failure isn't a good place to start DIY electrical.

Sounds like one of your hot legs has gone bad. Half of your panel is not working. The dryer being a 240 volt device is back feeding the dead hot through its 240 volt elements.

Sounds like one of your hot legs has gone bad. Half of your panel is not working. The dryer being a 240 volt device is back feeding the dead hot through its 240 volt elements.

Thank you all the replies, I got on a ladder and found one of my hot legs hanging on by a thread, making the call to power company, thanks again.

Hope you didn’t have too much damage to equipment. We had a similar experience and insurance covered most of it. I now have all the electronics protected and everyone in the house (adults) should know how to shut the power down.

Latest posts

Back