Attic installatiion help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsh0005

Reaction score
So, i am looking at installing an attic opening in my hallway. Right now, we have a very small one in a closet. I have a very good idea how to do it. I am going to follow the guidelines from this website:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/enlarging_loft_hatch.htm
I have one wirry though. The ceiling joists come together in a lap joint diwn the center of the hallway. So i would have to cut out the entire joint on a joist. Would thus be a problem if i take the right precautions with temporary supports and follow the framing procedure from the website above?
I feel like the right framing would be enough because im only cutting ine joint but, i wanted ti make sure befire i mive forward with this.

Usually usually find that over lapped joint over a bearing wall. So with the joint over a space should mean that both walls are load bearing. Code would have you double the joists on each side of the hole but if both walls are load bearing you would not have much of a problem with that plan.

What exactly do you mean doubke the joists?
Its a skinny hallway. Less than 40 inches wide. I think its 34" wide. I was surprised the joints werent on top if a wall.
Thanks for the reply. I guess im fine, makes sense that the hall walls woukd be load bearing.

What exactly do you mean doubke the joists?
Its a skinny hallway. Less than 40 inches wide. I think its 34" wide. I was surprised the joints werent on top if a wall.
Thanks for the reply. I guess im fine, makes sense that the hall walls woukd be load bearing.

We seldom find both load bearing walls in a hall way and if they are not, you have questionable situation and you could make that worse.

A load bearing wall will be supported by walls or beams below all the way to the foundation.

Latest posts

Back