Stair/Wall Removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRunyon21

Reaction score
I am looking to remove a set of stairs and the surrounding walls that run between our dining room and kitchen. The sets of stairs is one of two stairs going to the second floor that we have no use for. The stairs and walls run parallel with the joists above and below. The stairs are very narrow (maybe 30") so I believe they only had to cut back one joist to get the stairs in. My question is as follows: If the walls are not load bearing as I suspect, what is the process to repair the joist the was cut/repair the floor above? Do you install headers, double joists, and tail joists based on the size of the hole? Or do you underpin the joists, remove the cut joist and replace it across the entire span?

I understand that the situation could be very unique and require some crazy fix, but I was looking for the standard method.

This is my first post so be gentle.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-Jason

I am looking to remove a set of stairs and the surrounding walls that run between our dining room and kitchen. The sets of stairs is one of two stairs going to the second floor that we have no use for. The stairs and walls run parallel with the joists above and below. The stairs are very narrow (maybe 30") so I believe they only had to cut back one joist to get the stairs in. My question is as follows: If the walls are not load bearing as I suspect, what is the process to repair the joist the was cut/repair the floor above? Do you install headers, double joists, and tail joists based on the size of the hole? Or do you underpin the joists, remove the cut joist and replace it across the entire span?

I understand that the situation could be very unique and require some crazy fix, but I was looking for the standard method.

This is my first post so be gentle.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-Jason

Saying that the walls run parallel with the existing 1st floor, floor and ceiling joists does not preclude the joists in both floor systems from having been doubled, which would have been the correct method to carry the weight of the walls.

On each end of the staircase opening there should be a block the height and width of the floor/ceiling joists.

How far away from each end of the stairway opening are the bearing walls for the floor/ceiling system?

If the stair case was framed properly it will have double floor joists all the way around.
If that is what you have and it is all sitting level, just add another joist to each side and one down the middle with joist hanger, while you are there you could add the double hangers to each end of the end ones and singles where the cut joists meet those joists.
If they were not doubled then I would remove the end blocks and run a new joists full length beside the cut one and the peice on each side for new floor.

Latest posts

Back