Cutting and Replacing Rotten Wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassWineGuy

Reaction score
Part of the wood that frames my side door is rotten. The rotted section is small; about four inches wide, five high and half inch thick. It's part of one vertical piece. I'm experienced at removing, treating and repairing rotten wood, but for this I'd like to remove and replace the affected section. Would a reciprocating saw be something to use? And how do I separate and remove the cut piece?

Thanks very much.

Part of the wood that frames my side door is rotten. The rotted section is small; about four inches wide, five high and half inch thick. It's part of one vertical piece. I'm experienced at removing, treating and repairing rotten wood, but for this I'd like to remove and replace the affected section. Would a reciprocating saw be something to use? And how do I separate and remove the cut piece?

Thanks very much.

I think we need a photo.:)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7mEkQVQMUY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5q0xaQEf8[/ame]

Remove all that wood and replace with PVC lumber.
No more rot or painting.

It rotted because someone cut it to close to the threshold and most likely never primed and sealed the end grain before installing it.

Thanks so much, Joe. How do I remove the bad wood sections? Can I just cut or saw them off? Definitely want to replace with PVC.

It seems like it would be difficult to get a real clean cut so it almost doesn't matter which type of saw you use - recip, circular or oscillating because it's going to require some patching and sanding to get it to look like one piece of wood.
Neal mentioned the epoxy method which might be a little faster.

I own no power saws, so epoxy might be the answer. I repaired a section on a door two years ago using Bondo.

Latest posts

Back