water come in from bottom of patio door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi

I noticed some wetness at the bottom of the patio door, inside of the house.

I guess it's because the bottom of the patio door is not sealed well enough...

Not sure what I can do to stop this?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

patio door.jpg

Depending on your local temperature, you can start by re-caulking the exterior bottom plate of the door. Run a generous bead along the length of the plate (and higher along the sides is necessary) and do not let it get wet or freeze until it cures. If you are already snow-bound, you might have to temporarily tent the area for a few days so it is warm enough to cure the caulk. I would do my best to keep snow from piling against the exterior door.

Anything more destructive would probably solve the problem for years ... but I doubt you want to take that route just yet.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know what happened ... :)

The very best window has less than an r-value of less than 4. The sliding glass door is held off the bottom track on wheels and the wheel cavity is seldom insulated. Put a thermometer in the track space.
If you have to much moisture in the air, run the range hood fan or bathroom fan more but then you air sucking more cold air in around the window.:rolleyes:

You also have a building 101 mistake.
That threshold should have been no closer then 6" to the patio.
That one mistake will guarantee that waters going to come in under the threshold.
One way to fix it is to remove the door and set it in a sill pan this time. It will redirect the water to the outside.

http://jamsill.com/

Latest posts

Back