Removing Shower Door/Frame Nails?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyw

Reaction score
I am removing our shower door/frame and came across what I think to be nails instead of screws in the frame (connected to tile). Anyone know how I would go about getting these out? They are flat and very thin "nail" heads surrounded by a plastic ring. A hammer won't fit to get under the plastic ring to remove them...and a flathead screwdriver won't either. Thanks in advance for any advice!

photo (5).jpg

Welcome to the site; If you are trying not to dammage the tile and the frame. You could drill thru the center of the head with 1/4" drill bit. That would just remove the heads.

Thanks for your response! Great idea! I'm trashing the frame as it's not in good shape, but don't want to damage the tile.

I'm a complete newbie to DIY so this might be a stupid question, but what would I use to grind the head off?

I was thinking a small dremell tool. But if the nail is aluminum, a grinder may not be a good idea.

THAT is unusual ... Normally, these rails are attached with screws because they will corrode at some point and need replacing. Drilling will be hard because you cannot hold the drill exactly on the nail head. You will slip off to the side every time.

A small Dremel grinder with a metal cutting wheel (as Neal suggested) is probably the best. Gently cut the head off and do not penetrate the aluminum rail. Once the rail is free, you might have enough of a stub to grip the nail and remove it. If not, grind the nail flush to the tile so you can install the new shower rail and door. You might hit the hole with some silicone to prevent an possiblity of water getting in there ... I always apply silicone to the side and top of the new rails.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat..._Door&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

SHOWER.jpg

Back