DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Replacing exterior doors with rotted sills

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 AM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

First, there is no reason to use PT lumber on an interior wall. I build all my headers using 2x8 with plywood sandwich glued up and nailed...much stronger than a single 4x4 post.
As for tongue & groove plywood on a wall...it's not needed. I only use T&G on floors. And yes, plywood on a wall should be run horizontally for the best strength over 8'....less joints...unless you're just doing a patch.

Dave Mason

zannej Likes This 
Old 09-04-2017, 04:15 AM  
zannej

Liked 481 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabloodhound View Post
First, there is no reason to use PT lumber on an interior wall. I build all my headers using 2x8 with plywood sandwich glued up and nailed...much stronger than a single 4x4 post.
As for tongue & groove plywood on a wall...it's not needed. I only use T&G on floors. And yes, plywood on a wall should be run horizontally for the best strength over 8'....less joints...unless you're just doing a patch.

Dave Mason
The header is on an exterior wall and I live in an area with extremely high humidity.

The tongue and groove was intended for the floor-- not the walls. I plan to re-use some old wall panels for the wall material.

When I was talking about the direction of the plywood, I meant for the floor as well. Hence the mention of joists instead of studs.

I think my joists are 24" apart but they might not be a standard distance-- I won't know until I measure them and the weather hasn't been agreeable for doing so. I want to reinforce the floor under where I want to put a bathtub and the washer and dryer. I want to make sure it has sufficient support. I was thinking of the PT post for box joists under those areas.