Section of Ceramic Tile in Carpeted Room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK627

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to repair some ceramic tile at her house. When I got there I found that there was a section of tile just as you walk in their front door, about 3 X 3 feet. The rest of the room is carpeted. There's no transition between the carpet and the tile. The tile is in bad shape, a lot of it is cracked, especially around the edges of the tiled area. Anybody seen anything like this before? It's like they used tile as a welcome mat. Should I replace it with ceramic again, or would she be better off with linoleum? :confused:

If on slab I would do tile again but it should not have fallen apart.

This is a good trick when the kids have tracked in mud onto the carpet to many times, likely wasn't preped well. Beat bet is to take them up and see whats been done.

I'll have to check what's under it. Not sure what kind of subfloor is under the carpet. Once I get another look at it I'll post more details.

If it is wood, it may likely have failed because there was not a proper underlayment.

Tile in the entry makes sense as a transition from the outdoors (wet feet) because it is easy to clean. She might be yelling at you: "Take of your wet shoes Jeff before stepping on my carpet!"

The trick is the transition between the tile and carpet. A flexible subfloor under the tile can cause the tile to crack. THAT is where your problem will be resolved. Stabilize the tile's subfloor and you will solve her problem. Heck, you might even get a nice dinner out of this!

steak-dinner.jpg

People around here have been doing this for ever but now that tile is more "IN" I suspect they should have used vinyl and all would have been fine.

Back