Tub drain hookup instructions/images?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Reaction score
I've done the obligatory search both here and elsewhere and think I'm ready to ask the question that I've had.

Now, removal of the existing tub doesn't appear to be a big deal and I'm not apprehensive about that. Disconnect everything, cover and smash. Easy and straightforward demolition, which I've done with walls, doors, floors, etc.

What I'm less confident about is the new installation and hookup.

Any resources that show how a new tub is installed, particularly if you do not have access to the underside of the tub/plumbing (2nd floor bath--- no access without breaching a wall in a living area) I'm jsut having a hard time picturing how I'd go about hooking up the new tub drain without access to the underside.

Kob

I'm not sure of anywhere I've seen it illustrated.

Do you have access from the end of the tub (an access panel or section of drywall that can be removed)?

If you have no access at all, you'll have to use a compression style waste, overflow and p-trap. Usually I prefer the PVC, glue up variety because they are less prone to leaks long-term.

By measuring and test fitting, you'll have to pre-install the p-trap, waste & overflow to the drain so that they will hit the drain & overflow holes of the tub when you drop it in place. Then finish the connection by attaching the drain pop-up and overflow eschutcheon (don't forget the gaskets).

That's what I figured--- I'd have to breach a wall to access the end of the tub.

Thanks!

Back