Modifying an entry door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a 6 panel wood front entry door with a single pane sidelight that I'm trying to make more secure.
The sidelight I'm re-framing with laminated impact glass. The jambs and lock sets have been reinforced.
The one weak spot that is bothering me is the panels. The door stiles and rails are 1.75" thick but the panels are .50". Thin enough for someone to put a boot through.
I don't want to put an iron grill on it nor do I want to replace the entire door assembly.
I'm considering cutting some .50" plywood to fit over the panels and flush with the stiles and rails, then picture framing them with some trim over the seams and painting.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

It sounds like a solid wood door with thin spots in the panels.

If it were me I would be more worried about my 1/8" thick glass around my house more that a wood door.

I think your idea would work fine but now with a battery powered sawsall, I could get in any house in five minutes without alot of noise.

I think your idea would work fine but now with a battery powered sawsall, I could get in any house in five minutes without alot of noise.

As could I but how often do you hear of it happening? More often it's a kick in. My back door is an out swing steel door and the windows are impact rated. If I replace the front door it would need to be an out swing, which I don't want. Because of the r/o it would need to be custom unless I did away with the side light. Ideally, a replacement steel slab but it would need to fit perfectly. Working with what I have seems to be the easiest and least expensive.

The weak spot is the post between the door and the side light but to make your door strong you will want to fill the spaces on the outside like you suggested but you would need to cover the outside with a full size sheet of plywood leaving it back 3/4 inch on the sides and top so you don't have to move the lock and hinges. Cut the door back an eight on the lock side and add 1/8 x 1 1/2" steel to the post with cut outs for the locks instead of stricker plates and screws in the hinges that reach the framing.

I put a steel plate on the inside of our door when we lived in south Seattle (aka little Detroit) and used my torch to fancy it up and had the kids do art on it. I also made a drop bar to go across from wall to wall so kicking it in would result in at least a broken foot.

Interestingly, I found that HD sells a 6 panel steel slab door. It's 1/4" smaller than my existing door so I would have to make some modifications but maybe a good use of a 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 80" steel jamb plate.
So for $100 plus the piece of steel I'll have a comfortable false sense of security for when I leave my house for a week here and there.

There is a house here with a steel door like that and they found someone to paint it. From ten feet away you would think it is a raised panel door

Back