What is this next to the stack? An old cleanout? It stinks.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleazer

Reaction score
I need help identifying this hole in my basement floor. It's next to the main stack, and kind of looks like an old cleanout. The stack has a new cleanout installed right above the photo - you can see the white PVC.

I've figured out that my basement odor is coming from this hole, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it.

It had a cap on it, just loosely sitting on the hole and not sealed - I easily removed it by hand. Should I stick it back on there and permanently seal it with something? What should I use?

Why would it have been like this in the first place? Is it suggestive of some other issue?

The dampness on the floor is from when I spilled some water. I poured some in in case there was a dry trap causing the odor. This didn't solve the odor problem, perhaps because I didn't pour in enough water to fill the trap.

Thanks for any advice on what I should do here!

20140913_102149.jpg

20140913_102203.jpg

20140913_102213.jpg

Does not look threaded ... clean it off, dry it, seal it generously with brush-on pipe dope. Could stop the sewer gas emissions.

Looks like it was a lead and oakum sealed fitting at one time. I wonder if you had it feeding a septic tank.

There was a septic system - they just moved over to city sewer a few years ago. I'll seal the cap on there and see if that works.

Thanks for the help!

InspectorD is totally right ... and (stupid me) I have done this in the past. Gives you a solid, positive seal which can be removed if necessary.

:beer:

Two ways to check if both cleanouts are connected: take the cap off the new one and if it the same odor comes from that too, chances are they are connected. Better yet, with both uncapped, pour water into one and you should be able to hear it in the other pipe. At least then you'll know that they are redundant, and you are not dealing with two different systems.

Where does the taller pipe lead to?

Last edited:
it looks like an old 2 way clean out to me, stick your tape measure in both pipes. see if you can "feel" the direction your tape is bending. if one goes east and the other west
it is a 2 way clean out. the spread looks [ center to center ] about right.

you need to go buy a ty-seal gasket, and push that plastic clean out back in the hole

the test plugs others have suggested will work, but are not a legal sewer fitting.
upc 707.0 cleanouts and 707.2

TYLE00009.jpg

Latest posts

Back