DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Lawn and dogs

Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM  
paulinho121

Default Lawn and dogs

Hi, I'm new to the site and I apoligise if this topic has been covered previously.

We have two gorgeous black labradors and unfortunately, a modest sized garden. The dogs pee and poo on the lawn, which is resulting in yellow spots.

What is the best ways to remedy the spots? I try to water the spots they do it on but it doesn't seem to help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

hmmm. Watering is the only thing I know of. I think there's stuff on the market that supposedly neutralizes their pee--but I don't think I'd use anything that wasn't natural. We have 3 dogs, so I know what you mean Our solution is a work in progress, we're getting rid of the lawn. Eventually it'll all be walkable groundcover. Hopefully one more tolerant of doggy pee. If you do find a solution, please post!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:36 PM  
cibula11

Pet stores make a product in the form of a treat. They smell awful and I'm not sure how dogs eat them, but mine did. It neutralizes the acid in their urine. A box is about $10 and last around a month. It does work, but takes at least a couple of days to start. You can also buy a spray, but I think this just colors the grass. Otherwise take some time and train them to go in a designated area. If they are males, there is a product called a "pee-post" It is pharomone sented and helps train them to go around this area. My female boxer didn't really use it. But males are more territorial so you might have some luck.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 PM  
Kerrylib

Keep the lawn healthy so it can recover quicker.
An annual aeration and top dressing of compost helps a lot. Also have a bag of grass seed to sprinkle a hand full over the brown spots if they are bad enough to completely kill off the grass.

Quick Reply