how to remove these cabinets...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greta

Reaction score
hi folks,

first time poster on the site (other than the lowes giveaway:))

let me start by saying "i know this is a stupid question"... but i dont know much about cabinets...

i purchased a fridge yesterday and they are delivering it on wednesday and the fridge specs say it is 69.5 tall with the hidden hinge... looked at my current setup i only have about 68.5 or 69 of clearance...

any idea how i can get these cabinets down without completely destroying them? i can not tell how they are secured to the wall...

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

cabns.jpg

You should find screws entering the wall from the corners of the interior of the cabinet, with a few entering from under the cabinet. It is also possible they used the special square head cabinet screws. This is funny because just last month, I had the same problem at my vacation home. The new fridge was 1/2" too tall to fit in my opening, so I just unscrewed the short bank of cabinets, and raised everything up 1" to accomodate the taller, energy efficient refrigerator.

thanks friend.

i finally got it figured out last night.

i had initially removed all of the visible screws but the cabinet still wouldnt come down.

finally i figured out that the two final screws were actually under the opposing cabinets doors hinges... so, to get the cabinet in question off you have to take the door of the next cabinet and so on...

Most installers do not take the time to hide the screwheads under the hinge plate. Consider yourself lucky for having great craftsman in your area! Glad it was taken care of!

so, are you going to leave that cabinet off or raise up the adjacent cabinets to match the new height?

so, are you going to leave that cabinet off or raise up the adjacent cabinets to match the new height?

they are bringing my fridge today. once i see how close a fit it will be i will take off however much i need to off the bottom of the cabinets and then put them back up. if my pre-measurements are correct then i will only need to shave off 0.5 inch or so at the most... currently the bottom of the cabinets have at least 1 inch of room that is not needed and can be removed without comprimising the integrity of the cabinet. this is great because now i won't have to the other cabinets, rather just adjust the one small cabinet.

Here is a picture of my cabinet dilemma. Fortunately, on that particular wall, there were only a few cabinets to deal with, so lifting the entire bank up 1" was not a problem.

havasu pics (73).jpg

havasu pics (93).jpg

Yeah, aren't those nice? It sure can let you know positively how old the place is! ;)

Latest posts

Back