DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Crowning Rafter on a 1 yr old house

Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 AM  
uw23ted

Default Crowning Rafter on a 1 yr old house

So I have 1 crowning rafter on our roof that needs to be repaired. They builder is going to remove the 3d/architectural shingles and the decking and "shave" the rafter.

They said it is an easy fix for them and should only take half a day. The section with the outward bump is about 6 feet long and about 2 feet wide.

My huge concern is that the new shingles will not match or blend in with the old.

Again, the house is only 1 year old and the shingles are on the side of the house that gets the most shade. I am just worried they will not match and i'll have a "scar" that will scare any potential future buyers off.

Any advice on if the shingles will match up or not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM  
TheDoorGuy
A door a day is all I ask

My thought is that over time the shingles will blend in to the rest of the roof.
It would probably help quite a bit if the they don't make a square patch with
straight lines....Try to make an irregular line where the new shingles meet the old.
That should help not to draw the eye to the area.

I just looked for pics on line of 3d shingles....Looks like a variety of colors and/or
shades..That should help make the patched area blend in.

All that being said: I'm the door guy...What do I know about roofs?!?!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 511 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw23ted View Post
So I have 1 crowning rafter on our roof that needs to be repaired. They builder is going to remove the 3d/architectural shingles and the decking and "shave" the rafter.

They said it is an easy fix for them and should only take half a day. The section with the outward bump is about 6 feet long and about 2 feet wide.

My huge concern is that the new shingles will not match or blend in with the old.
Again, the house is only 1 year old and the shingles are on the side of the house that gets the most shade. I am just worried they will not match and i'll have a "scar" that will scare any potential future buyers off.

Any advice on if the shingles will match up or not?
No, your shingles will not match perfectly. Good news is the variation on a roof only a year old will be minimal. Any material that is left to weather in the sun will have some color fade, but the pitch of the roof, available sunlight on the effected area, color of the shingle all have a factor in what the repaired area will look like. Architectural shingles will not be as apparent as if you were trying to blend in a 3-tab shingle.

In the past I have taken some shingles from the side roof and used them to patch a place where the plumber removed and moved a plumbing vent to the rear of the house so that you couldn't even see where the vent was, and used new shingles on the side roof slope where the repair wasn't as apparent.

Quick Reply