DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > drywall problem

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: fredericksburg, va
Posts: 1
Default drywall problem

We have an 18' peaked ceiling in our family room. The drywall tape is separating from the side wall where it meets the ceiling. This problem was repaired once before. Our painter feels that heat and or lack of humidity is causing the problem. A proposed solution is to cover the tape with crown molding. Any thoughts on this approach??

richh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM  
Posts: n/a

Crown molding helps with many corner imperfections, and is a classy look to the room when finished. If it covers the bad corner, go for it! Also, please take a few "before and after" pictures so we can see the difference as well.

Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 18

Sounds like you had someone do a bad job on the drywall. Sorry Get thick molding because the cracks may get bigger over time. This may be somthing that over the years may need to be redone....sorry. But thick molding will look nice and last a long time.
eokhuijzen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 3

What do you really want the peak to look like? If you like the look of molding and think it will enhance the appearance of the room, then go for it. If you think the molding would look like a "cover up", there are ways to permanently correct your cracking issue. First, and if possible, you need to make sure the trusses (rafters) are not moving excessively with the outside temperature changes. Additional attic bracing may need installed to prevent this. Second, you can purchase (from a box store or drywall specialty store) plastic cornerbead that is designed to be installed in the peak of a cathedral. This cornerbead typically come in strips or rolls and are much wider then "normal" cornerbead (about 4-5" on each side). I've used this product many times to correct the cracking problem you are describing. Never had a call-back for additional cracking.
J-Rock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM  
Junior Member
punchrem's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , IL
Posts: 3

I would go with correcting the wall, I have a similar problem in my house and I have already tried covering it 3 times... It's more of a hassle but you get rid of the problem once and for all.

Home Remodeling - Like to start the remodeling project, love to enjoy the end result
punchrem is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
How do I fix this kind of drywall problem? farmerjohn1324 Walls and Ceilings 26 01-16-2018 04:33 PM
Drywall mud ... what's up? dthornton General Home Improvement Discussion 12 12-05-2013 10:07 AM
Main Line Sewerage Connector Pipe Problem? Sewer Problem? labb_sleuth Plumbing Forum 3 08-09-2012 04:44 AM
I wanted to put new drywall on my bedroom walls but now I might have a problem RipTheJacker Walls and Ceilings 59 11-01-2008 06:53 AM
Drywall problem? Tonton Walls and Ceilings 5 08-17-2006 03:48 PM

Newest Threads