DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > replacing my main meter breaker

Old 07-27-2006, 04:17 PM  
jmjoseph

Default replacing my main meter breaker

Hello,

I live in a condo so each unit has a electrical meter and breaker to start/stop flow of electricity into each unit. Now each unit also has circuit breakers for the various appliances / rooms. I am getting my meter breaker replaced today so I am wondering if I have to turn off all my individual room / appliance breakers (nothing is plugged in the walls) before he replaces the main breaker next to my meter? If he does replace my breaker and I have all my switches in the "on" position could that cause problems for me either short term or long term? Thanks

J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You might want to turn the individual breakers off. Then when you turn power back on, turn on the main first, then the double breakers, then each individual breaker one at a time. This will cut down on the risk of a surge when all of the circuits come on at once.

This is far more a concern when it's an industrial situation, but it's a good idea wherever you are.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM  
jmjoseph

ok will do thanks

Quick Reply