DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Under sink leak

Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 AM  
bwa74

Default Under sink leak

I have two sinks, on one countertop in the bathroom. I use one 95% of the time. I noticed tonight as I was using the main sink that the other one started making gurgling or bubbling sounds and that I had a leak coming from a few places (from the wall, and where the sink pipe fits into the bendable PVC). Not sure why the one I wasn't using was leaking and the one I was using wasn't leaking? I reconnected everything, but still have the same issue. One thing I did notice is there was quite a bit of black sludge and I did my best to clear it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM  
joecaption

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's starting to plug up from soap scum (that's what that black stuff is) Put a small bucket under the trap and remove the whole thing and clean it out.
May be as simple as a clog in the trap. When the water can not get out the drain it builds up in the drain pipe and has more time to sit there and find a leak.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM  
bwa74

I hope thats all it is, but I did clean out the trap, so it makes me think the clog is somewhere in the wall? Maybe I need to do a good roto-rooting? Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM  
Toadfish

Make sure the PO plug (stopper) isn't clogged with hair. The depot has a tool called Zip-it that'll snag any hair that's clogged up in there.
You can also get a small hand snake to clear the gunk thats in the wall piping. Make sure you run some hot water after the snake job to wash away the residual gunk.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM  
CharlieO

The reason you leaking a the sink you don't use as much is probably that the main drain pipe in the wall is clogged and that it is only backing up as far as the first sink in line. if the clog gets worse it will reach the other sink. the gurgling is because it is clogged enough to block the air vent.
You need to snake the pipe in the wall.
Good luck

Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM  
bwa74

Thanks all, going to snake the pipe this afternoon. I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply