Sinking Slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abugabal

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 470 sq.ft. slab of living room whee half of it has sunk and it was covered by concrete and carpet on top. I wanted to tile the room, the concrete was poured on viynl tile. I removed concrete and tile. The lowest point of that sinking floor is 5".
My question: Can I pour concrete on top of that sinking floor to make it level and put tile on it?

The other side is about half inch then it increases as it goes to the wall where the 5" is (like a slop). I have a picture but I didn't know how to post it.
Thank you very much!

There are companies that can force concrete under the slab and raise it back into place.

The other side is about half inch then it increases as it goes to the wall where the 5" is (like a slop). I have a picture but I didn't know how to post it.
Thank you very much!

If you have a picture saved on your computer you can attach it to a post on the reply screen, if you scroll down from where the text area is you will see a heading "attachments", its easy, just follow the directions on the following screens.

I agree with Sam, I think mud jacking would be best. Remove and replace would be my second choice.
mud jacking is when they drill a hole in the slab and pump in concrete and releval the floor.

Thanks for your replies.

I took your advice and called a company to do the "mud-jacking." They drilled 3 wholes and started pumping and the slab rose 1" and almost 4" to go but their pumping machine broke. So they told me they have to reschedule. My question to you: The "stuff" they pumped, is it going to be a problem when they try to pump again? I mean, will it dry and prevent proper expansion of that "mud" or "cement"?

Thanks again.

Good question, bad luck. I do think they will be able to drill thru there product and pump under that, but I guess you will find out.

Back