DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > water flow alarm

Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM  
vanhalendavid

Default water flow alarm

looking for an inline water flow sensor, hardwired w/ battery back-up that i can hook 2 or 3 audible/visual alarm units to (one for each floor) to alert me when my basement toilet flapper sticks open. Upper floor plumbing you can usually hear draining but this drains into the cement floor and occupant left the area immediately. I could get fancy and alert me with e-mail or text message on my cell phone but maybe that could be an add-on for later. Or maybe it could be integrated with a valve to shut off the water, which ever is cheaper, i'm struggling to get by now. thanks. (1/2" copper pipe service)

Last edited by vanhalendavid; 02-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Why not fix the basement toilet flapper so it works right?

Everyday billions and billions of flushes occur without the flapper sticking open.
Why is that your sticks open enough times that you are concerned about it.

Fixing the toilet is easier and less expensive than your idea of a cure that is why what you are thinking about isn't commonly available...

Whoever invented such a product would join the starving inventors club.

Why don't you describe the flapper and how it is hanging up or post a picture of the installation?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A new $10.00 Fluid Master flush valve would be a whole lot cheaper.
I'm 58 years old and have owned at least 4 houses and have built another 100 or so and never once have I seen a flapper flood a basement or house . So more then likly this was a one time event. So change the valve to a new more modern one and worry about something else.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM  
thetoolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhalendavid View Post
looking for an inline water flow sensor, hardwired w/ battery back-up that i can hook 2 or 3 audible/visual alarm units to (one for each floor) to alert me when my basement toilet flapper sticks open. Upper floor plumbing you can usually hear draining but this drains into the cement floor and occupant left the area immediately. I could get fancy and alert me with e-mail or text message on my cell phone but maybe that could be an add-on for later. Or maybe it could be integrated with a valve to shut off the water, which ever is cheaper, i'm struggling to get by now. thanks. (1/2" copper pipe service)
This may be a more appropriate answer to this kind of problem. How about closing the valve when not in the basement. In fact, why not use a valve wrench to be sure that valve is closed?

[URL="http://wrenchouse.com/Valve-Wrenches.php"]valve wrench[/URL]

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoolman View Post
This may be a more appropriate answer to this kind of problem. How about closing the valve when not in the basement. In fact, why not use a valve wrench to be sure that valve is closed?
Now that is something I never used...

Prolly never will either...

Quick Reply