Replacing attic insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langbakkan

Reaction score
Hi,
Our house was built in 1954 and the insulation installed then is still there. About 25 years ago my husband added some additional insulation but I beleive it now has lost its effectiveness. In addition, the insulation is dirty, there is mice up there, and a lot of stink bugs. I would like to replace all the insulation but my husband dismisses the idea. Kindly let me know what you think.
Thanks / Langbakkan

Insulation typically does not loose it's effectiveness.
However, if it is matted down with dirt, infested with mouse droppings & stinkbugs and is from 1954, this would be the one time I would actually vote to replace it.
Today's modern insulation is much more effective than insulation used in 1954 in addition to the contaminants that might compromising your health.

to kok328
Thank you very much for your reply. I do feel uncomfortable knowing there is mice droppings and dead bugs up there, and I hope your mention of a health hazard will help persuade my husband that we should replace the insulation.
Thanks very much!
Langbakkan

It will do little good to replace it if you do not take the time to figure out how the critters are getting in.
Finding and fixing loose siding, sealing any holes on the outside of the home. Going under the house and sealing any old holes where plumbing and wiring were run, Checking any screens in foundation vents, gable vents, soffit vents ECT.

Back