Installing a heating system under the tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosesman

Reaction score
I plan on doing some remodeling for my home ...changing the tile in my living room and bath...my friend gave me the idea to install a heating system under the tile since I’m already getting a new floor...
I would like to hear some opinions about it ...is it any good ?

I live here in freak'n cold Wisconsin (yes I am a wimp) and know quite a few people who have a floor warming system. Everyone loves it. Especially during the winter months. Wish we had it. I don't know anyone who has installed it themselves which is strange since so many of our friends are DIYers. I took a peek at some instructions and it looks like something my husband could do (and I assist of course). But it would be on the more challenging level.

I would be really curious on how it turns out if you do it.

Last edited:
Is this possible to do under a wood floor?

I don't think it would be good for the wood. The dryness from the heat could cause cracking in the wood. You could try laminate wood flooring.

I am staying with the wood if anything I will go with a radiant loops under the subfloor in the basement rafters.

I plan on doing some remodeling for my home ...changing the tile in my living room and bath...my friend gave me the idea to install a heating system under the tile since I’m already getting a new floor...
I would like to hear some opinions about it ...is it any good ?

I installed it under kitchen tile floor about 5 years ago and it's absolutely great. No regrets at all.

If you do decide to do it, pay attention to what they recommend on wire placement. There are some suggestions about how far apart wires can be and it does make a difference - in a couple of places I left more between them and we had cold spots in these areas.

Ours was from SunTouch.

Andrew.

I don't think it would be good for the wood. The dryness from the heat could cause cracking in the wood. You could try laminate wood flooring.

While it is true that sudden changes in temperature can damage your wooden floor, there ARE real hardwood floors that are designed to withstand through radiant heat.

I don't think it's possible for a solid plank of wood, but many engineered floors offer this option.

Engineered floors have a ~7 layer plywood/poplar base with a 2-3mm layer of real hardwood on top.

If you are looking for a domestic product, we have a few floors that are designed for radiant heat: Engineered Flooring -Domestic Species

This effect can only be reproduced on domestic species... we still cannot guarantee an exotic floor such as Jatoba, Cumaru or Doussie to withstand radiant heating.

As for laminate wood flooring... It won't work simply because the membrane on which a floating floor is laid on will melt from the heat.

Engineered wood floor is the most recommended answer for radiant heat.

Radiant floor heating is beneficial in many ways. It's not expensive to install and will save money on your energy bill in the long run. With floor heating, you'll also be able to walk around barefoot even in the winter.

You can get a roll of 300 ft of PEX tubing, lay it under the tiles and hook it up to the boiler.

Pricing of PEX can vary depending on brand, but you can get 300ft for $80-$90
See: 1/2

Back