DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > plumbing question

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Bethesda, MD, MD
Posts: 1
Default plumbing question

I have a problem... hoping one of you do-it-yourselfers out there can help me out. I need to replace the knob to my shower faucet as the handle has broken. I've tried looking for replacement faucet handles at the Home Depot, but the female end of the knob does not fit the male end that sticks out of my shower wall:

As you can see, the cross section of the male end is square.

Among the knobs I've seen available, the cross section of the female end is a near-circle, i.e. it has two flattened sides so that it can grip onto the appropriate male end and turn the faucet. I guess you can describe the cross section as being in the shape of a barrel.

Does anyone know if they sell adapters for this sort of thing? Or do I just have the wrong type of faucet handle? My original faucet set was Sterling, but they have discontinued that line.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!

dcden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:17 PM  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 44

Originally Posted by dcden
My original faucet set was Sterling, but they have discontinued that line.
Time to replace the entire shower diverter...

manhattan42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello DCden and Welcome to the Forum:
You could take the valve stem out and take it to a salvage store to see if they can match it. You've got about a 1,000 to 1 chance but it would be worth the try since the new set will cost somewhere around $60 to over $100. If you don't want to take the stem with you, a few close-ups on your digital camera would be a big help. Taking the stem out usually means turning the whole house off. I wish you the best, I think you will need it.
glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6

Kissler or Lordahl, or Danco for that matter, probably make a handle. You need to go to a large plumbing supply. The home stores only carry the very common stuff.
plunger595 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Plumbing permit isometric drawing hyperbruce Plumbing Forum 3 08-21-2008 04:01 PM
Question on shared ground/neutral buss in breaker box banyan Electrical and Wiring 5 06-29-2008 01:39 AM
Split-Level Framing Question kobelleprop General Home Improvement Discussion 5 04-27-2008 11:25 AM
Yet another beam support question MelodyLeanne Framing and Foundation 8 04-10-2008 02:42 PM
Grout sealing question BuckeyeDad General Home Improvement Discussion 8 10-04-2007 06:50 AM

Newest Threads