DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Pressure regulator

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2011, 07:00 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2
Default Pressure regulator

My home was built in 2005. Ever since it was new we have had noise coming from our water pipes that sounds like hammering. This noise only happens when the sprinklers are used. The builder tried to fix it in the first year without any luck. They installed a pressure regulator up in the flowerbed by the house. That never did anything by the way. So I decided this year was the year I was going to figure this thing out. I bought a pressure gauge and hooked it up to a outside hose bib. The pressure registered at 110psi. I then went to the box where the builder installed the regulator and turned the water off. This regulator does not look like any of the regulators I have seen on the net. It looks more like a gate valve or globe valve. I had someone stand at the hose bib with the gauge installed while i backed off the regulator. I would turn it a 1/4 turn and then ask what the pressure was. I made a full turn before i got any pressure registering at the gauge. And it went from 0 to 110 with no adjustment in between. I can email pictures if you need them. I am trying to get my pressure down to around 65psi. I am not sure if the pipe is 3/4" or 1" I am all for pulling the garbage out that the builder installed and putting in something that will best fit my needs. I am just not sure what regulator and set up I need to accomplish this. Please advise.

Thank you.

Last edited by Tectrix; 04-23-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Trying to add pictures.
Tectrix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,963
Liked 254 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65


The pressure is adjusted on the contactor switch if your on well water and on the pressure regulator that's near the main incoming water meter if your on city water.
No form of gate, globe, or ball valve will control pressure, they can only control flow.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-24-2011 at 07:23 AM.
joecaption is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 AM  
Certified Lunatic
Redwood's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887

Sounds like you need a real pressure regulator installed and not a valve....
Redwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia, mb
Posts: 9

you can install pressure regulator to reduce water pressure, which reduces the noise. You can also contact some professional to fix the problem.
victoriastiles is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Voltage regulator problem bluestorm Electrical and Wiring 4 02-09-2010 02:29 PM
Need more water pressure!! spec_j Plumbing Forum 9 09-11-2009 06:05 PM
Whole-House Voltage Regulator vs. Surge Suppressor SeekingInfo Electrical and Wiring 2 09-26-2008 10:04 PM
Pressure Treated? Rincon General Home Improvement Discussion 2 07-07-2008 09:22 AM
Water Pressure sefness General Home Improvement Discussion 4 11-28-2007 08:45 AM