DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Lightning Strikes and Electrical

Old 08-08-2006, 01:09 PM  
ks_tornado_chic
Frustrated w/ a 1925 Home

Send a message via MSN to ks_tornado_chic Send a message via Yahoo to ks_tornado_chic
Default Lightning Strikes and Electrical

OK.... we had some storms yesterday and while i was sitting in the living room we took a lightning strike. All the power in the house went out ang when it came back on (a couple seconds later) i smelled something burning. Went to check the breaker box, and there were a couple breakers tripped. We later found out that those breakers go to the bathroom, which has no power whatsoever right now.... just does not work.
Is this becasue the breakers are fried or do we need to re-wire the house again? We jsut re-wired in December... so I'm not too happy about having to do it again if that is what the absolute answer is...

HELP ME!!

Hannah

:confused: 1920s Homeowner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Hannah:
Are the circut breakers melted of disfigured in any way? If they simply tripped they are probably still good. You can check them by removing them and using an ohm meter; place one lead on the spring clip that engages the buss bar and the other lead on the screw where the wire goes in (with the breakers in the "on" position). Also, look for wire insulation melted in the panel and burned receptacles or light fixtures in the bathroom. If all this checks out OK, re-insert the breakers and screw the wires back in them, turn them on. If they kick the breaker instantly there is probably a short in the wall somewhere; time to call the electrician.
Glenn

Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Default First....

First thing you do before you touch anything is call your insurance co. You are most likely covered.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply