How to get rid of lap marks?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjones

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I have been trying for days to paint a wall with chalkboard paint and it's proving to be a really frustrating affair. The first 2 coats went on fine enough with a roller, but then we notice lap marks so we got a wide foam brush and tried that and it made things so much worse. Then I tried a roller again and it improved a little, but it's still markedly worse than the 2nd coat, which was imperfect.

I'm a little worried that I'm putting too many coats on, but I don't see what other choice we have - the lap marks are really noticeable because this wall is right against a floor-to-ceiling window so the marks are really visible from the side. However, when looking head-on it's not that terribly noticeable.

I'd be grateful for any tips/suggestions on how to fix this once and for all please.

Thank you!

Try using a better quality roller pad with at 3/8 nap, also roll in a W pattern and cross hatch. This should do it. Let the roller do the work.

Did you seal the walls first with a good primer? If not that will cause lap marks. The paint is soaking into the porous walls and drying too quick. Once there you can't get rid of them. I would suggest priming with the best quality sealer you can find and re-paint.

Back