DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Ravine and soil erosion

Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM  
Trey Greyjoy

Default Ravine and soil erosion

Hello all,
Im looking for some information on how to best control soil erosion along a ravine.

My land slopes down to the ravine and there are several areas that water runs off into the ravine, down to a stream during rains.

There are a couple of areas of bare earth along the walls of the ravine that trouble me some, particularly because they are about 25' from a small barn we have.

Im thinking of trying to get some vegetation to grown along the sides, perhaps some sort of ivy? Id be interested in any links to any sites or groups that may have experience with this sort of situation.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 134 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default Hmmmm.

Lots and lots of large stones. We call it rip rap.
Look under the next bridge you go by under the river.
This is the only way to slow down flood prone areas. Vegitation washs away after a while.

Just My
Made in the

Old 09-20-2006, 09:35 AM  
Trey Greyjoy

Thanks. Ive looked up the use of riprap and I think in some areas this may work. The amount I would need is quite large, would I call a landscaping company for something like this?
Insofar as the vegetation was concerned, I was thinking about English Ivy. Is there any detriment to trying to plant some of this? There are a couple of very steep areas, and the overall area Im talking about is quite large, and ivy is cheap!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Maybe a rip-rap/plant life combo would be the best solution? I am envisioning Mountain Laurel along your ravine

English Ivy is considered an invasive species...what makes it such a trouble free hearty grower is that it chokes everything it comes across and sucks the life out of it. It's brought down many a tree in my neck of the woods. It escapes the pretty home it is meant to decorate and "invades"

If you can find "native" plants to use you will have minimal upkeep and maximum benefits for plant life, animal life, ravine life, and your barn's life

Here are two sites to help you find some plants: http://www.ecocitycleveland.org/heal..._backyard.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b865/b865_07.html

And one to help you know which plants to avoid:
http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/invasive/

Good Luck, and let us know what you do!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM  
Trey Greyjoy

Just a quick update: we have not actually started working on this yet. I think we have decided to attempt to tier the hill.

Thanks for the confirmation on the English Ivy, I suspected as much.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM  
boobou69

Tiers work well, but not alone....if you want a plant with an awsome root structure use Sorbaria sorbifolia, grows quite large and roots very sturdy to avoid erosion....also you can try willows(the trees)......

good luck

boobou69

Quick Reply