DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Replacing Kitchen Tap

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 133
Likes Given: 12

Default Replacing Kitchen Tap

Hi Guys

Im going to be replacing my tap soon and was looking around where the water supply line from the faucet attatch to the water lines and noticed some rust and thought maybe it was best to replace that part also. Only problem is I dont know what that part is called and the best way to do it? and what to replace it with. Im assuming cut it off and install a new fitting of some sort. I have included a picture of what im talking about

any help would be great


Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4177.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2974  
JeremyB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lake Forest, CA (Orange County)
Posts: 52

OK... this is under the kitchen sink right? Then it's a 5/8" copper supply line with a 3/8" adapter to the faucet.

1st. There should be a stop valve on the 5/8" supply line. One each for hot and cold. These aren't there now.

2nd. Purchase your faucet before you get the "stops" (shut-off valves) and see what kind that you need. You might need "risers" (the stainless flex hoses) and need to know how the supply to the faucet is configured. I only say this because here in Calif most of the stops have a 1/2" outlet. I just installed a Moen faucet (my preference) and it came with attached hoses with 3/8" fittings. If you have any questions take the faucet with you and ask someone in the plumbing dept. I can't guarantee you'll get the right answer, if you go to the big boxs, but it's worth a shot!

If you can't use the nut and compression ring on the lower pipe you will have to either remove it, use a Crescent (adjustable) wrench, adjust it to just slightly larger than the bottom pipe, hold it against the bottom of the nut and tap it off (upwards) with gentle hammer taps. If that doesn't work you'll have to cut the pipe. Make sure it's very clean (remove paint) and install the new stop.

Johnboy555 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM  
Certified Lunatic
Redwood's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887

The 5/8" is the OD of the 1/2" copper pipe. So please use 1/2" as the size reference to avoid confusion, as copper tube uses the ID size in plumbing.

A clerk in a store may look at you like you have a 3rd eye in the center of your forehead if you ask for a 5/8" compression stop valve....

A Ferrule Puller can be used to remove the old compression ferrule but you probably do not want to invest in one for a one time use. I'd reuse the nut and ferrule if the threads match...

Last edited by Redwood; 08-09-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Redwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana/US
Posts: 6

I would have to do as you did. Take a picture of it on my phone, take it to the downtown plumbing supply house and they tell me. Any one know anything good or bad about NYC plumbing?
housediy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Painting or Replacing Kitchen cabinets jwr General Home Improvement Discussion 14 01-18-2012 07:02 AM
Replacing broken glass kitchen counter backstop? Prune General Home Improvement Discussion 2 07-22-2010 09:58 AM
Replacing gutters..... shan2themax Roofing and Siding 2 07-05-2009 04:59 PM
Replacing the entire base of a roof versus replacing parts of the roof jigsawsaver Roofing and Siding 3 07-04-2009 06:04 AM
Replacing Stairs broke Flooring 4 04-10-2006 11:00 PM