DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Building a deck over concrete and grass

Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood
Default Building a deck over concrete and grass

I have a standard 10 x 10 concrete slab patio. It's settled, the concrete step has majorly sloped, and the wooden steps leading to the sun porch are about to fall apart. I want to cover it over with a nice deck that expands the total porch area of my back yard, wraps around my sun porch, and covers a "dead" area in my back yard.

I live outside Chicago, so winter is a factor.

So, I know the basics about making holes that go below the frostline.

What's the best way to support the area over the concrete? Removing the concrete would add considerably to the cost. I'm wary of anchoring into the concrete and into the lawn because I don't want it to settle awkwardly.

Any thoughts?

Rule #1: If it deals with electricity, make sure it's turned off at the breaker.
Rule #2: hire a pro when it comes to messing with your sewer main.
Rule #3: Failure to follow rule #1 and #2 will get you in deep sh!t.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM  
gatorfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefood View Post
What's the best way to support the area over the concrete? Removing the concrete would add considerably to the cost. I'm wary of anchoring into the concrete and into the lawn because I don't want it to settle awkwardly.
Assuming you're planning to rent a power auger (which I assume would almost be a requirement due to the required depth of your pier footers in the Chicago climate), you may as well also rent a jackhammer for a 1/2 day. You don't have to remove all of the concrete, just where you need to put your piers. Since the remainder will be covered with the deck, it doesn't matter if it doesn't look that great. Plus it's a good excuse to rent a jackhammer.

Matt

Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

That's a hard argument to break...getting to rent a jackhammer.

Rule #1: If it deals with electricity, make sure it's turned off at the breaker.
Rule #2: hire a pro when it comes to messing with your sewer main.
Rule #3: Failure to follow rule #1 and #2 will get you in deep sh!t.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 AM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

A 90-pounder will make a man out of you in a hurry. I'd suggest you make a few sawcuts in the concrete to concentrate the removal areas--no sense in breaking out more concrete than you have to. Also, you might want to consider using piers adjacent to the house instead of attaching a ledger board. In effect, making the deck a free-standing unit from the house, with a small gap (< 1") between the house wall and deck rim board. I've seen more than a few rotten (or improperly-installed) ledger boards on homes/decks I've inspected over the years.

Quick Reply