DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Garage door repair help

Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM  
rackt3

Default Garage door repair help

Hi everyone, I recently had a bad experience with a garage door repair company and I desperately need some more knowledgeable opinion.

Just over 3 years ago, we had our garage door replaced. Just yesterday as we opened the garage door, something snapped, and the garage door came tumbling down. Turns out, it was the lift cable. The top hole at the top of the lift cable had completely rusted out, and it broke.

The garage door company came out and claimed that it's not their fault, and my contention was that they put in a crappy lift cable that rusted out and broke. In the end, I paid them to fix it and put a new cable.

My question is, should the lift cable break in under 4 years? and is the garage door company right in disputing any responsibility? If I'm being ripped off, I need to take them to task on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Unless there were extenuating circumstances you're not mentioning, it's not likely for any component to fail in less than 4 years. The door manufacturer should have had a materials warranty on its product, but often it's only for a year or two. Check the paperwork that came with the door when originally installed, and of course read everything (including the small print) before filing a claim with them.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM  
joecaption

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

More likly the org. door manufacture cheap out on there cables, not the installer.
In 30 years I've never seen a cable rust out. You may want to give it a spray of WD 40 to prevent it from happening agin. Sounds like your garage is to humid.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM  
pwb002

Default garage door parts

I know of a web site that has a pretty good selection of garage door parts. I know it is hard sometimes to find parts, especially from larger companies. They would rather you buy an entirely new set-up I'm sure... anyway, here is a link to the site... Door & Window Parts, For All of Your Window and Door Hardware Needs.

good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM  
Aaron5454

No, it shouldn't break that fast. Not without some other circumstances going on. The rust would concern me...it shouldn't rust out that fast. Did anything really noteworthy happen in/around your garage in that time frame? Rain Damage or some other kind of leaking?

Quick Reply