DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Paint stipper on exterior wood windows?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 AM  
Back40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Paint stipper on exterior wood windows?

I have scrapped/sanded the exterior windows on a 50+ year old brick house in prep for painting. About 50% of the old paint has been removed down to the bare wood. If I paint the windows as they are now, the finish would not be very smooth. Would it be advisable to use a chemical paint stripper to remove the remainder of the paint? Thanks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If your looking to make it perfect then that would be fine. Any old house like that is going to have a rough surface because almost no one takes the time to remove every speck of paint.
I'd use a citrus or soy paint remover. Non toxic and will not burn your hands, eyes and plants, It also encapsulates the lead paint that most likly was on there that you have been breathing.
If you want to never have to paint it agin I'd get the window frames wrapped with PVC coil stock and get replacement windows if you do not have them now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply