DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Steam Boiler Replacement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 AM  
elrodalonzo

Default Steam Boiler Replacement

I am currently in the process of replacing my 30 year old Oneida 110K BTU boiler with a new Weil-McLain SGO-3 114K. The only snag I see is the old boiler has two riser pipes and the new one only has a place for one. Everything else looks pretty straight forward. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know steam heat is kinda rare these days but we heat mostly with wood and like the steam heat when we do use it. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM  
joecaption

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Then why did you not go with a boiler that is dual fuel. It can be fired with wood but if the fire get to low or goes out the oil or gas can kick in"

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM  
elrodalonzo

Many reasons. Cost for one, convenience is also a big factor. My steam boiler is down in the cellar and I would have to go down there everytime I wanted to put wood on it. Now I have a nice glass doored Lopi wood stove (looks good too) that is in my livingroom and the wood is handy just outside the door. We can easily regulate the temperature of the house with the woodstove. The boiler has a hot water coil for our hot water needs. Other than the hot water the only time we get much use out of the boiler is if we go away for a couple of days in cold weather. But all this really gets away from my original question.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 510 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 150

[QUOTE=elrodalonzo;64090]Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.QUOTE]

Joe only took you up on your offer.

Have you tried contacting the MFG and asking their tech support people about how to hook up to your existing system?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM  
elrodalonzo

My intent was not to insult Joe, I hope that's not what happened. I do appreciate the input but since I already have the new boiler it seemed like a mute point. Contacting the manufacturer is a good idea I will do that, I just thought somebody might be watching that could offer a simple solution. Keep the comments coming! thanks.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:24 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 510 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 150

We're pretty thick skinned around here, no worry. Finding somone with practical knowledge of steam systems may be a stretch but we'll try.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 AM  
elrodalonzo

Well I would appreciate that. I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet they usually won't help the homeowner with such matters they'd say contact a professional. I purchased the boiler on ebay in a flood sale, had to replace the liner. Boiler is fine the box was ruined so they couldn't sell it. Probably settled with the insurance co. already. I got a great deal, then bought a new hot water coil and Beckett burner. I'm real handy doing most anything I just don't want to make a mistake if I can avoid it. Not going to do the swap right away, got the hard stuff done the boilers down in the basement already. Hunting season going on right now here so I got my priorities. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrodalonzo View Post
I am currently in the process of replacing my 30 year old Oneida 110K BTU boiler with a new Weil-McLain SGO-3 114K. The only snag I see is the old boiler has two riser pipes and the new one only has a place for one. Everything else looks pretty straight forward. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know steam heat is kinda rare these days but we heat mostly with wood and like the steam heat when we do use it. Thanks.
Send me pic. of what you have now and the boiler you bought. Is the boiler you bought set up for steam or hot water. What type of radiators do you have?
paulm989@hotmail.com. Paul

Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM  
elrodalonzo

Paul,
I took a couple of pics, let me know if you get them. The new boiler I have says SGO Series 3 Oil-fired natural draft steam boiler. My radiators have pipes only going in none going out with a vent on the other side.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrodalonzo View Post
Paul,
I took a couple of pics, let me know if you get them. The new boiler I have says SGO Series 3 Oil-fired natural draft steam boiler. My radiators have pipes only going in none going out with a vent on the other side.
I got your pic. Have you looked at this site.
http://weil-mclain.com/en/multimedia..._SprdR6_Lo.pdf
I think you are saying you have a one line steam system? Just one pipe going to each radiator? But you have two feed pipes?
When those feeds leave the boiler there is a tee in each feed line that are piped together and go to the bottom of the boiler? Show me pic. of the left side of the boiler and that piping. Paul

Quick Reply