Adjacent floorings are different heights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marielapagina

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know nearly nothing about home repair but am dying to learn and will do the work to ask questions and research. So please be kind...

My situation is that I bought a 1979 split-level house. In the living room, we have fake wood floor with a pad underneath. The Kitchen used to have about 3 layers of laminate. We pulled all that up as well as the fake wood flooring that extended into the dining room.

The length of the living room is connected to the dining room and kitchen. So here's the problem. The living room floor is at a certain height. However, once we had removed the laminate layers in the kitchen and redid them, the kitchen/dining room floors are at a significantly lower level than the wood. How in the world do we get around this? Do we have to add padding to the kitchen/dining room and redo the flooring?

Right now, we stopped the laminate job so there's just baseboard showing between the dining room and living room.

How much differance is there?
Most often 1/4 sanded subfloor rated plywood is added to built it up, it also comes in 1/2 and 3/4".
Any subflooring has to have fastners every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field, and never attach it where the floor joist are, Your trying to take out the tiny gaps between the joist. Never glue it down.
It would be best if the base boards are removed to do this.
Do not use louon plywood!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back