electric wall heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a2bitGUY

Reaction score
I have a room off my garage with 2 forced air electric wall heaters, running off the same thermostat and ,I assume electrical circuit.One of these units is very loud when running and really not needed as one sufficiently heats the room ,and would like to disable it safely.was just going to cut wires going to unit ,but dont want to break a circuit .will separating male-female connector on unit do the trick .?any advice would be appreciated .thanks :beer:

Unplug it and find out.
Beware, the plug may be for the blower motor and may not disable the heating elements.
If the heating elements run without the blower, the unit will overheat, it may cause a fire or burn the unit up (electrically).
Best bet is to find the line feed to the unit that you want to disable and properly terminate the connections there. Proper termination consists of capping the line feed wires with wire nuts and enclosing the end of the circuit in a metal box enclosure.
As an alternative, you may want to determine how the unit you wish to disable is activated by the thermostat and disconnect the wires that control the unit. This the unit will not come on with the other unit but, can be easily reversed to restore operation.

Latest posts

Back